vikasb23
Newly Registered

Help with my okra plants

My okra plant is 1 week old I don't know what's wrong with them.
I live in india avg temp is 30℃+ 7-8 hr sunlight.
For potting mix I used soil and cocopeat.
IMG_20160803_183953529_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160803_184122535.jpg

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

First off, I don't see where anything is wrong with them. They just sprouted and are only 1 week old by your accounting, so give them some time. What exactly do you think is wrong with them?

The only thing I'd do differently is to plant them directly in the ground where they will be growing. There are several varieties of vegetables that I would prefer to sow the seeds directly into the ground, like cucumbers, beans, okra, lettuces and other salad greens, beets, etc.

vikasb23
Newly Registered

See my 1 image it's like someone eat these little leaf from side.there is brown and yellow spot in the same leaf

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

vikasb23 wrote:See my 1 image it's like someone eat these little leaf from side.there is brown and yellow spot in the same leaf
I've been growing okra every year for over 20 years in my back yard garden and I've yet to not have some damage to many of the plants when young. Slugs, cut worms, snails and other tiny pests love to eat on the leaves from time to time, but they do survive and thrive. I wouldn't be too concerned just yet as those are just the first set of leaves and will be replaced soon as the plant grows.

I don't know if you've grown okra before, but my experience is they tend to start a bit slow as far as growing tall, then all of a sudden they shoot up, usually after they reach 2-3 ft. tall. Just a couple weeks ago my okra was in the 3 1/2 - 4 ft. range and I just came in from picking pods off the plants and they are now well over 5 ft. tall.

bobbyg

Mine look like those after couple of weeks. I just wished I planted mine earlier like in April or so.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I plant okra every year, your plants look good to me. Just in case your potting mix does not do well for okra mix some of your soil = dirt with water, stir well then water your okra with the dirty water. This will give the plants a lot of minerals they will not get from just the potting mix. Water them often when they are small.

Okra is a crazy plant they love full sun all day, hot and dry weather. After my okra comes up it is very slow to grow. It takes 2 months for my plant to get 1 foot tall. Then plants grow faster they will be 3 feet tall in a few more weeks then 6 feet tall a few weeks later.

Okra does fine in bad soil, little water, no fertilizer but they do better if you help them a little bit with better soil, water and a little fertilizer if you want to. It takes my okra plants 4 months to get 6 feet tall by then they are making lots of okra pods..

imafan26
Mod

It looks okay. You live in a humid climate so do not over water. Okra does get fungal diseases. What are you using for fertiizer?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”