SLC

Can you still eat broccoli if........

It's been raining for like 3 days and finally cleared up so I just went out to pick some broccoli and I'm not sure if it is still good or not.

Can you still eat it if the head looks like this? The middle of the head is still firm but the outside is not that firm and you can see some yellowish.....flowers?
IMG_1884.JPG
You can click on these to zoom in and then click on the picture again to really zoom....and ewww...it looks like a couple worms are on this one? Like sort of in the middle but one looks clear...weird.

And here are a couple of side shoots.

This one has some pretty loose buds but some tighter buds in between but they are yellowish:
IMG_1885.JPG
And this one is all slightly loose buds:
IMG_1886.JPG
Are these all still okay to eat? Will they taste bad? I really was going to use them to make cream of broccoli cheddar soup and want to make sure they are good before I go through all that trouble.

Please let me know, thank you!!!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, it is still edible.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Maybe if you put the heads underwater awhile then swish them around the worms and critters will drown and come to the surface.

Wish I had broccoli heads like that. All I've grown in recent years are broccoli trees 2 to 3 feet high, no sign of a head. Never again, I give up, I shall leave broccoli growing to those more qualified. Every broccoli seed packet should come with the warning: don't try this at home.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, it's fine. The yellowish and loosening is because it is getting ready to flower. If you left it grow a few more days you would have this:

As the buds start opening up into little yellow flowers. But even then the flowers are still edible (they just don't have as much broccoli flavor any more).

Swish your broccoli heads through a bowl of salt water first to be sure you don't get any little extra protein treats with your greens.

applestar
Mod

Yep -- more than just swish -- I start by washing outside in a bucket with water from the faucet swirling in along the side so the water is spinning and overflowing -- aphids that float up will be spilled out. I do this three times (saving the water for later use -- caterpillars (and hopefully those clear ones you got there) will sink to the bottom so I pour out the water -- to water with or in a large reservoir bucket/tub, then save the caterpillar water and give them to the goldfish. (I used to dump in the fish pond)

Once in the kitchen, I trim the heads from the stalks and soak in a deep bowl or pot with salt water and a towel or plate on top to completely submerge. If more than comfortable number of bugs still come out, then I do a second soak and this time use a squeeze of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.

I do all these because I prefer to steam my broccoli and anything in the heads will stay in there. If I boiled the heads, then they will come out in the water. For soup-making, you might blanch them in boiling water first if you want to be sure... But if you are puréeing, well, you won't see them to gross you out at least. :>

Be sure to cook them soon-ish and not keep them in the fridge for long -- any bugs will continue to feed in there and the yellowing buds will spoil faster, which becomes a nightmare to clean.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”