jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Fall Radishes

I went out and planted a row of radishes. Don't know if they will germinate in this 90 + weather. Don't know if they will have time to make it if they do? Usually get killing frost about Sept 6. Any way for what a few seeds cost guess its worth a try?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I'm going to try fall radishes as well, though have never had any luck. The seeds won't germinate in the heat, and cold weather comes too quickly when planted late enough that the seeds will germinate. They grow slow I guess because of shorter daylight hours of the fall, so just don't get a chance to form decent sized roots. This year I will try starting the seeds in cells inside the house in late August. The young plants won't be moved to the garden until temperatures moderate, about mid September. The young plants will be given a few hours of direct morning sunlight each day until they go into the ground.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I planted a couple beds of radishes today, too. I've got longer til my first frost. went with a few things that tend to get nice and big with cool weather in fall: a winter daikon, watermelon radish, and a black radish selected for late planting. now and again probably in a couple weeks.

applestar
Mod

Radish is another crop that cabbage pests LLLOOOOVE to pester. That's one reason I hesitate. (And Harlequin stinkbugs have joined the party -- found two egg clusters on kale and broccoli I'm still growing for seeds)

I might set up a insect netting covered raised bed for them though -- if my late potatoes will hurry up and finish maturing that might be the ideal bed for it. Test dug the upper layer of mulch and soil today and found a couple of big ones -- mostly smaller but none tiny. Bigger ones should be deeper down though, so maybe I'll call it and get them out tomorrow.... Definitely if the bed will dry out some more.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I'm planning on trying cabbage yet again, though have never gotten a single head to form. I'm considering netting for them.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I just researched and ordered some winter radishes. Will try planting some of them this month but first real trial will be next spring. The winter radishes last through the heat of summer and can be picked up to the first killing frost of fall or winter. They continue to grow throughout the summer and remain tasty and mild even when very large. One article says that a single radish can be enough for a family meal. Winter radishes are also quite versatile.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I planted a small 2 X 2 feet bed of radishes about 3 wks. to a month ago. I didn't really expect much with some days over 100 degrees. But, to my surprise they all germinated and now I'm eating midsummer radishes. Can't say they're really pithy or fibrous, they're just what you would hope for. I was really surprised. Variety was Champion. Just a packet from a big box store. I scratched some nice compost into the surface of the soil.

Weather has cooled somewhat now though with the summer rains, so they are maturing in more ideal conditions.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Well, believe it or not, my radishes came up. The plants are looking good. No bulbs yet. Still two weeks or so till first frost. We will see...........

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”