hotsnacks

Zucchini and Cucumber Plants Dying At Same Time?

Zucchini: What started as smaller, less intense gray "marks" has completely taken over my zucchini leaves which have been producing excellent zucchinis until now (first time trying!). I may have planted them too close together as I have 4 in a small space with the idea of growing vertically, but the plant had other ideas and now it's a clogged mess. Did I water too much? Disease? Overcrowded?
Zucchini gray marks starting
Zucchini gray marks starting
Zucchini leaves now look completely dead
Zucchini leaves now look completely dead
Cucumbers: I've only picked two cucumbers all year and I planted SIX plants. I noticed the ones I tried to move and weave into the trellis just died suddenly. I've only got one or two left now and am upset as cucumbers are what I was looking forward to the most this summer. Did touching them kill them? Disease?
Cucumber plant problem starting
Cucumber plant problem starting
Cucumber now, some plants totally dead
Cucumber now, some plants totally dead
Something to consider: I did have Bok Choy planted beside my cucumbers and zucchinis, and I let them flower/seed and they seemed to have this infestation of small gray dusty looking bugs, thousands of little ones. I eventually tore out the Bok Choy but I probably waited too long, could those bugs on the Bok Choy have something to do with my Zucchini and Cucumbers since they were inches away?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

quote: " zucchini leaves which have been producing excellent zucchinis until now"

Sounds like success to me. About bugs, I like Diatomaceous Earth powder. It is non chemical but it discourages the bugs because of its sharp edges which scratch the bugs.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, those plants are WAY too crowded and if they have a chance, they will get a lot bigger yet.

The ones in the top picture look perfectly healthy. Many squashes get those silver/grey marks on the leaves, especially on mature leaves and it is normal.

These marks are part of the leaf, will not brush off, and tend to follow the veins.

The second picture however, is a bad case of powdery mildew:

It is a fungal disease. It is duller, dustier looking, some of it will brush off, and it does not follow the veins, but is all over the leaf. You can type powdery mildew into the search box at upper left and find tons already posted here about it and what to do...

The third picture just looks wilted. In the weather we have had where I am, my squash plants look like that every afternoon. But they perk back up when the shade gets on them. I have been deep watering every other day to keep them alive.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”