Damienne
Newly Registered

Garlic gone wrong

Hi. I have heard that garlic is easy to grow, but have had problems anyway. I bought good starter bulbs from an excellent organic source. I planted them in the fall, and everything Seemed to go well. We had a mild winter here in CT this year and the greens grew well throughout the spring and early summer. I was excited and looking forward to harvesting. July came and the leaves started to yellow. I waited a bit and then started to dig. To my supreme disappointment, the bulbs were tiny and some did not seem to develop past the clove that I had originally planted. I have good soil, appropriate water and ground cover in the winter. What could have happened? I will try again, and would appreciate any advice before I do. Thanks.

applestar
Mod

What variety did you plant? Assuming hardneck variety, which is more suited for the northern states, did you cut off the scapes when they started growing? Also how far apart were they planted and were they planted where they had at least half day sun in the WINTER TIME?

applestar
Mod

Refer to what was discussed here and see if you notice relevant issues --

:arrow: Subject: Very Small Garlic

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

When I first planted garlic I quickly found that not all garlic will do well here. I ended up planting some of every kind I could get my hands on, and out of that bunch I found one that really excelled here. I have propagated that one since. Sounds like you did fine in your planting and care of the garlic. May I simply suggest, try some different varieties?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”