Kerathome

How Rude! Murphy's Oil Soap to stop Caterpillars?

I have been anticipating my better boys for so long now - I finally had a few (lower down on the plant) that were hopefully going to be ready to harvest sometime this century (growing tomato plants in less than full sun sure teaches one to be patient) and was showing them to my son when I noticed they both had dark spots.

Those dark spots ended up being holes... with juicey, fat caterpillars curled up inside. MONSTERS!

A friend tells me I can just spray the plants with diluted murphy's oil soap to scare them off and keep them away (3-4 drops mixed with water) --- before I go try to rescue my better boys, does that sound right?
catmater1.JPG
catmater2.JPG

imafan26
Mod

I don't know about Murphy's but Bt usually works. That is a big caterpillar.

applestar
Mod

These are climbing cutworms. They climb up from the ground to eat at night, then climb back down to the ground or curl up in a nice dark-ish hole they made in the fruit. They do this to peppers, too. Sometimes, you can catch them on their way back down if you are out as soon as it's light enough to see in the morning. Now that you know they are around, you could lightly, gently scratch around the base of the tomato which might turn them up. If you are diligent about inspecting the fruits, you could catch them earlier while they are small -- little ones are stupider and are not as good about hiding.

I'm not in favor of using murphy's soap but that might be just me -- I'm not particularly in favor of using Bt or Spinosad either, but they will work as well and they are considered organic pesticides. They give their little tummies a bad stomach bug, and they can't eat any more and die. So you spray whatever they eat, not them, and give them a chance to ingest it.

In my garden wild birds are often hunting in the tomato patch -- I notice male cardinals often -- they make a lot of noise while they are on the hunt -- usually from either high vantage point from which they seem to pounce on their prey, or hopping around on the ground. I know they have been successful catching hornworms, maybe cutworms, too. House Wrens and Carolina Wrens like to hop through the foliage -- not sure what they are after -- generally smaller game, I think, but I've seen them with smaller caterpillars in their beaks.

Kerathome

applestar wrote:These are climbing cutworms. They climb up from the ground to eat at night, then climb back down to the ground or curl up in a nice dark-ish hole they made in the fruit. They do this to peppers, too. Sometimes, you can catch them on their way back down if you are out as soon as it's light enough to see in the morning. Now that you know they are around, you could lightly, gently scratch around the base of the tomato which might turn them up. If you are diligent about inspecting the fruits, you could catch them earlier while they are small -- little ones are stupider and are not as good about hiding.

I'm not in favor of using murphy's soap but that might be just me -- I'm not particularly in favor of using Bt or Spinosad either, but they will work as well and they are considered organic pesticides. They give their little tummies a bad stomach bug, and they can't eat any more and die. So you spray whatever they eat, not them, and give them a chance to ingest it.

In my garden wild birds are often hunting in the tomato patch -- I notice male cardinals often -- they make a lot of noise while they are on the hunt -- usually from either high vantage point from which they seem to pounce on their prey, or hopping around on the ground. I know they have been successful catching hornworms, maybe cutworms, too. House Wrens and Carolina Wrens like to hop through the foliage -- not sure what they are after -- generally smaller game, I think, but I've seen them with smaller caterpillars in their beaks.
Applestar - thanks for the input. I feel like my yard is pretty jumping as far as birds are concerned. We've got blue bird boxes near the beds, and other bird houses around our property - I actually have a family of baby blue birds living in one of our downspouts (thankfully it hasn't been too rainy this summer). I've seen quite a few little wrens and some cardinals hunting in the raised beds - so I was a little surprised about the caterpillars - it is the first time I've spotted them in our beds. My pal swears by the murphy's oil soap, so I guess I'll give that a try - he said just a few drops mixed with water is enough to deter them, but I'm not so sure it will be enough to do any real damage to beasties of this size! My aunt recommended Neem oil, so if the soap doesn't work I'll try that next.

I learn so much from these forums - I didn't realize I was supposed to feed my container plants every 10 days until they'd already been growing for 2 months. No wonder I have had such a pitiful first year garden, lol. I'm very much looking forward to carrying my newly acquired knowledge into my fall garden (although slightly worried about caterpillars attacking my cabbage, ha ha ha)

Kerathome

imafan26 wrote:I don't know about Murphy's but Bt usually works. That is a big caterpillar.
I know! I was so upset, but at the same time I was glad to let my lover of creepy crawlies get up and close with it, lol. Going to give Murphy's Oil a shot, and might try to track down some Bt if it isn't enough.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Bt should work against them. I'm not sure the soap solution would; that works better on softer bodied things like aphids.

You can also try putting diatomaceous earth all around the base of the plant. It is also organic/ not a poison, just works by causing mechanical damage. Likewise you can coat the base of the stem with tanglefoot, a very sticky substance that works as an insect barrier. Both of these should be available at good nurseries (probably not big box).

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

I find that cutworms are one of the easiest culprits to eliminate. Going out at night when they are active might be easier, but I find that what works for me is to go in search of telltale damage. When I find it, I search carefully around in the soil at the base of the plants and find them curled up, fast asleep and unsuspecting... :twisted:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”