rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: Squash plants

Of course as soon as I wrote that, the plants promptly put out two female blossoms. :? The vines are all tangled together, but I'm thinking it may be one seminole and one butternut (possibly two seminoles).

Oh well, just see what happens.... I was sort of looking forward to getting rid of all that and starting with an all cleaned out bed.

applestar
Mod

They must have their own network and Internet with their own version of Helpfulgardener forum --

"HELP - our gardener is thinking about pulling us out what should we do?" -helpsos-
:eek: "QUICK! Grow some FEMALE blossoms! That will deter pesky gardeners from premature yanking."

:hide:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

:lol: :lol: :-() :lol: LMFAO

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

most moschatas are pretty tasty as summer squash, harvested when small and still tender, if you really want to speed the bed-cleaning along. I actually tend to like them better than zucchini.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

rainbowgardener wrote:I've been saying butternut and hubbard.

One is a classic butternut.

But I'm not sure about these - not hubbard I don't think...

Wow, look at this. The same kind of squash Rainbow had. I've never had a squash that looked like this before. I'm assuming this squash is coming off the butternut vine, but really can't tell in the jumbled mess of squash vines I have. I planted, butternut, buttercup, blue hubbard, and zucchini. All seeds were purchased from companies in packets. I don't know if there are any more down in there or not, I can't see!
butternut.JPG

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Squash plants can really get going. I have had some of the vining types go 15 feet to a tree, then climb the tree. I water mine once a week. I am using sprinkler irrigation and put down about 1.5 inches of water on the area once a week. Have fun!

Ask Google "How deep do roots of squash grow?"

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”