Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Indigo Rose tomato - colour & flavour

I'm growing Indigo Rose tomatoes for the first time and I'm amazed at the depth of the colour. Right now they are still hard; but dark enough to be called - literally - black, with a faint green streak down the side. My question: does the colour change as they ripen? (And will the flavour be equally interesting?)
Last edited by Vanisle_BC on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are two kinds of people in the world - those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who do not" - Robert Benchley

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Re: Indigo Rose tomatro - colour & flavour

Yes, the color (colour) does deepen and is very interesting. What is not interesting, at least in my garden is the flavor (flavour). Pretty fruit with a below average taste. Hopefully your s is more pleasing.
Paul F

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I grew this very interesting tomato this year. The tomatoes are striking on the vine. The plants are vigorous producers of medium to large salad tomatoes. As mentioned above, the downfall and deal breaker for me are the lame flavor and texture. The seeds were tossed in the trash. There are too many super tasting tomatoes like '4th of July' or 'Super Sioux' to settle for a marginal flavored salad tomato.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

PaulF wrote:Yes, the color (colour) does deepen and is very interesting. What is not interesting, at least in my garden is the flavor (flavour). Pretty fruit with a below average taste. Hopefully your s is more pleasing.
Yes I do hope mine taste better than you and hendi-alex describe - hope they have real flavour :). We'll see; meantime I doubt they could get any darker than they already are. As I say they're literally almost totally black.
"There are two kinds of people in the world - those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who do not" - Robert Benchley

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”