gordoner
Newly Registered

Zucchini Stem Cut Off

My first attempt at growing vegetables and it's been a satisfying experience so far. I have harvested 2 zucchinis recently but I accidentally cut off one of the stems when I was harvesting the second zucchini. Should I plug the hole with something or just let it be? Thanks!
20160716_182058_resized.jpg

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

No worries. Just let it be. You could plug the hole if you wanted to, but I wouldn't say it would help.

My plants in the garden get snapped and cracked and snipped off all the time...tomatoes, kale, cucumbers...and they all did fine.

Don't worry- it shouldn't be a problem

gordoner
Newly Registered

AnnaIkona wrote:No worries. Just let it be. You could plug the hole if you wanted to, but I wouldn't say it would help.

My plants in the garden get snapped and cracked and snipped off all the time...tomatoes, kale, cucumbers...and they all did fine.

Don't worry- it shouldn't be a problem
Thank you. I guess what I am worried about is that these stems are hollow and that something my crawl in and destroy the plant from the inside.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

[quote="gordoner
Thank you. I guess what I am worried about is that these stems are hollow and that something my crawl in and destroy the plant from the inside.[/quote]

That would be the dreaded Squash Vine Borers job. But looking at how green and nice your stems look, that is not an issue for you, and hopefully, won't ever become one.

By the way, SVB's get into the stems and they travel along their hollow cavity eating the interior of the stems, thus making the plant incapable of delivering nutrients that help it grow and set fruit. They look like grub worms that have set up house in the stems. I lose all my summer squash plants to them every year. Some years I get 3-4 pickings from the plants before they need to be pulled, but most times just 1 or 2 and they are done.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”