SummerGray
Newly Registered

Pumpkin plants in Bunny Cross hairs!

I am seeing pics of pumpkin patches without any fences? How do you keep rabbits away from them? I have family of rabbits that literally stalk my garden. They sit right at the fence! I have cans hanging on the fence I shoot with a bb gun to try and scare them, they just look at me like, what? and continue nibbling on lawn greens. My pumpkins have plenty of room IF I can get them to grow in the right direction but I have a feeling they want to be stubborn. I can reroute my fence so that they are on the outside of it but then they are in the direct line for bunny brunch.. Is there some sort of secret to keep the bunnies at bay aside from making my pit bull stand guard?

applestar
Mod

As far as I'm aware,mother bunnies only go after the pumpkins and squash while they are very small -- first seedleaves (DEEELICIOIS!) and the first tender true leaves. Once they get the thick stem to them and the prickly spines, the bunnies prefer less challenging food.

You do have to watch out for marauders once they fruit as the tender baby fruits are target for a number of critters. There's a thread about making protective plastic or wire cloth cages for pumpkins and melons. (Did I not make that a sticky?)

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Groundhogs will eat leaves and stems of mature pumpkins but not bunnies. Seems like the rabbits will eat everything else but I've never seen them eat pumpkin or gourd plants.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

" I shoot with a bb gun to try and scare them, "

This is a step in the right direction. You need to shoot to kill! Just get rid of them!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”