Gary350
Super Green Thumb

How many months does a potato plant grow?

I planted kennebec potatoes April 7. They came up quick and made good size plants about 2 feet tall. I put wood ash on them often burned tree limbs in the BBQ grill almost every day. The plants look nice and green they made only a few blossoms a month ago and today they are making a few blossoms again. The plants still look good. I have never grown Kennebec potatoes before and I don't remember how long it takes potatoes to grow?

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I looked on some seed company websites. One said 90-100 days, another 80-100 days, another said mid season. I would like to try these next year myself! I think they're supposed to be fairly prolific. I like to get a lot of bang for my buck! :cool:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I reckon you have potatoes. You can get the diggin fork and dig some, or just poke a finger in around the plant till you hit a spud then lift it out. Have fun!

Peter1142
Green Thumb

Kennebec holds up a long time. I harvested mine mid August last year. As long as there is green they are still producing potatoes. They are extremely prolific, great texture but not very special tasting by itself.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”