shelbygt660
Newly Registered

What kind of plants are these?

This is my second year of gardening in Northern Ontario. First year we only got one carrot and one radish (Planted everything too deep and did not read the package the seeds came in, This year we followed the packages and got surprised when everything was coming up. I do have a few plants I need help identifing, I did plant watermelon but and unsure if one of these are that.

Thanks in advance

applestar
Mod

2nd photo I'm pretty sure is goosefoot. If you follow the link, OP to that thread posted a photo

Subject: Lettuce or weed?
applestar wrote:It's actually not arugula and some people think it's weed, but it's called "goosefoot". Related to "lambs quarters", also considered weed, it is very edible and quite good. It's cultivated form is also called --
Aztec Spinach (Huauzontle), OrganicHot Weather Greens | Bountiful Gardens
https://www.bountifulgardens.org/products/VGR-3771

A relative of quinoa and spinach.
Basically, a quinoa bred for mild leafy greens.
Sprouts quickly for baby leaves for salad mix. Leaves taste like spinach, with no oxalic acid "metallic" taste.
I would keep some of them -- cull enough of them so they don't suppress the lettuce growth -- and harvest by clipping the tender top sprig and side leaves -- you can eat fresh with your lettuce in salads or cook like spinach. Later, if you let it grow on and go to seed, you will continue to have some grow in your garden.

In my garden, they become infested by leaf miners after hot weather arrives, so that's when I stop harvesting. They are basically good for harvesting while the lettuce lasts.

...btw... In the bottom left corner, I think I see another "weed" -- "pigweed" or "wild amaranth" which is another edible weed, though not as nice as goosefoot.
3rd one is a cucurbit but not watermelon. Maybe cucumber or melon?

4th one looks like it might be morning glory or bindweed.

I can almost remember what the bigger first one is.... :? Small one is another -edible- weed

applestar
Mod

Subject: Purslane Potato Salad
rainbowgardener wrote:I thought I had posted this here before, but I looked and looked and couldn't find it.

Purslane is a common garden weed, but very edible - tasty and nutritious.

Russian Potato Salad With Dill and Purslane

Time: 30 minutes

12 ounces whole small fingerling potatoes
3 to 4 tablespoons mayonnaise, or as needed
3 tablespoons Greek or other thick yogurt, or Lebanese laban or sour cream
1 to 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
2 to 3 scallions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon brined or rinsed salt-cured capers
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon lemon juice, or as needed
1½ to 2 cups purslane with tender stems, cut into 1- to 2-inch lengths, or ¾ cup purslane leaves.

1. Place potatoes in cold water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until just tender, about 15 minutes. Rinse with cold water and drain well.

2. In a mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, yogurt, dill, scallions and capers. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.

3. Slice potatoes thickly, removing as much skin as easily comes off, leaving on a little for texture and ease of slicing. Add potatoes to mixing bowl, and toss gently to combine. Adjust seasonings to taste. Add purslane, fold together with potatoes, and serve.

I add celery and/ or green peppers for crunch. You could pretty much use your favorite potato salad recipe and just add purslane to it.

I am making this for a company dinner tonight! Always like to introduce people to the joys of eating weeds! :)

shelbygt660
Newly Registered

Wow, Never knew the little one was edible. Guess you lean something everyday, Now should I pull any of these pants? The larger first one is coming up in a row we planted either broccoli or watermelon in. I am afraid to pull it incase its a fruit bearing plant.

applestar
Mod

What happened to the other pictures? Could you put them back please? It's for other members benefit, too to see what is being discussed, and my numbering won't make any sense without the others. Thanks. :wink:

shelbygt660
Newly Registered

they are still showing on my end?

applestar
Mod

You can see pics 3 and 4? Hm. Thanks, I'll try to find out. Sorry.

webmaster
Site Admin

Please upload the photos to the forum instead of linking to them. We can then help you. Here are instructions on how to upload photos to a forum.

Good luck!
;)

shelbygt660
Newly Registered

20160627_203712.jpg
20160627_203707.jpg
20160627_203643.jpg
20160627_203723.jpg
OK sorry about the delay. Here's the photos again

shelbygt660
Newly Registered

The bottom two ended up dying off.

applestar
Mod

Ok. I'm thinking the first one might be wild burdock. I bet !potatoes! would know....

shelbygt660
Newly Registered

20160717_101829.jpg
20160717_101832.jpg
20160717_101837.jpg
20160717_101850.jpg
20160717_101855.jpg
20160717_101916.jpg
Ok, Did some weeding in my garden and came across these. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

shelbygt660
Newly Registered

Anyone. Lol

applestar
Mod

This one is Plantain. Most of the rest of the photos have plantain in them along with others that I don't recognize so far. I strongly recommend you learn to recognize plantain because it's a very useful weed. :wink:

Subject: Grow your own on-site garden remedy for stings • bites
Applestar wrote: [...]
Luckily, most of what I needed for field remedy was growing right near by:
image.jpg
Plantain, Jewelweed, Creeping Charlie, Toothache Plant
At first I used the toothache plant for anesthetic but toothache plant smarts on open wound, and this one hurt, so I switched to Creeping Charlie. I normally would use peppermint, but don't have any growing in this area. Generally any mint will work so I used CC but think I will plant some spearmint.

I kneaded and worked the leaves and stems into a wet poultice and held the juicy wad against the base of the thumb where the saddleback stung me for about an hour while I continued to potter around in the garden.

This field remedy really works. Now, I can't even tell which hand it was let alone where. I highly recommend growing them somewhere in your garden. They are all considered invasive "weeds" but I find them invaluable and have patches growing near all the different areas of my yard so they are never far away and easily found in case of a bite or sting.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

first picture (second set), if the undersides of the leaves are as white as it seems, I agree, burdock.
third one, agreed, some kind of cucurbit (but not watermelon)

in the last set, agreed with plantain. the largest plant in the last picture looks like it could be a brassica of some sort, but there's a lot of more weedy, similar-looking stuff with all the plantain in earlier pictures, and that's also a possibility. not sure what the scalloped-edge weed is, but I've definitely seen it...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The picture under the plantain (with the rectangular and circular objects in the picture) is probably ragweed. Many people have allergies to ragweed pollen, so it is a good one to get rid of.

All the ones that aren't plantain or ragweed, look like all the same plant. I don't know its name, but it is a common weed. If you let one or two of them flower, we can ID it easier.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”