gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Major overhaul the last 2 days

Well, I finally got tired of seeing dying and near dying plants, so I did a major overhaul to the garden in the last 2 days. I pulled most of the remaining tomato plants and only left those that still had tomatoes ripening on them, even though they look rough. I also pulled all my squash plants as the SVB's finally raised their devious heads and got to them putting them in severe stress, so out they came.

My pickling cucumber plants are fading at a rapid rate and they will likely come out later this week, but the slicing cucumbers are doing great-----go figure. I've picked 24 slicers in the past 2 days---my neighbors like me now. LOL My okra is doing great, as are some of my pepper plants, while others are not doing so well. My eggplant are also putting out nice purple globe produce that will be ready in a couple weeks. So, all is not bad news.

After I got all the plants out that needed removing, I broke out the 5 bags of grass clippings and leaves I picked up a couple weeks ago and spread that over the whole garden then got out the tiller and turned it all under and broke up the soil. Now I want to get at least 8-10 more bags of clippings/leaves and do this all over again to get the garden ready for the fall stuff that goes in by early October.

Progress of sorts, even though I'm depleting what I had growing, but if it wasn't producing, so I haven't lost anything really. Except about 5 lbs. in sweat the past 2 days----and that's a good thing too.

Allyn
Green Thumb

Good job! I'm sweating just reading about the work you did. Stay hydrated!

I need to do that, too. All my tomato plants need to come out. I have three pepper plants that are doing good or at least half decent, but the rest can go. I have one melon on the vine that I'm hoping will make something of itself, but all the beans need to go. It's just been too hot to be outside.

I was, in fact, just thinking about pulling my seeds out to see what I've got for fall. I have 26 chicken eggs in an incubator on my grow-stand shelf, but there's enough room to start seeds. C'mon fall!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”