Pcaris
Newly Registered

Triazicide and garden! Yikes!

I did some good this morning that could wind up being one of the most stupid things I think I've ever done! I've had a vegetable garden going for a couple of months now. It's right in the middle of the lawn. Late in the day I went outside and did some checking around the garden, then came in and climbed in bed. Some time later came upon a tick climbing through the covers...yikes! This morning I spread some Triazicide on the lawn and not in, but closely around the edges of the garden. I read the directions and it didn't say anything about a problem around vegetables, and that once you water the granules and let it dry, pets and children are safe on it. I'm just wondering if what I did is okay? Anyone's thoughts?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I went to Spectrum's website, and according to their site, even if you did put it on your garden, it should be safe after it is watered well in...

I wouldn't put it on my garden.

If you didn't put it on your garden, just near, I would say that your garden vegetable will be absolutely fine to eat.

JONA
Greener Thumb

I too would be careful. It's active chemical is gamma cyhalothrin which is a pyrethroid and as such is a neurotoxin.
I know that garden mixtures will have relatively low concentration but I would still not use the plants very close to the edges especially if you are planning harvesting soon ..better safe than sorry.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I wrote a thread here https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 11&t=57653, in which I summarized a whole bunch of information about commonly used garden poisons. I didn't look up yours specifically, but as a synthetic pyrethroid, it would have very similar toxicities to Permethrin, another in the same class:

Class and Uses: Permethin is a synthetic pyrethroid. Pyrethrins are derived from chrysanthemums, but the synthetic ones are much more concentrated and toxic. It is a broad spectrum insecticide that has been sprayed widely in mosquito abatement programs and used for lice, ticks, and scabies and on a variety of crops. It is a neurotoxin, which acts on the nervous system of insects and causes muscles to spasm, culminating in paralysis and death

Animal toxicity: Permethrin is highly toxic to both freshwater and estuarine aquatic organisms. Most agricultural, public health, and down-the-drain scenarios modeled resulted in exceedances in the acute risk quotient (RQ) for freshwater and estuarine fish, invertebrates, and sediment organisms. It is also extremely toxic to honeybees, as well as other beneficial insects. . Severe losses may be expected if bees are present at treatment time, or within a day thereafter . Permethrin is also toxic to wildlife . It should not be applied, or allowed to drift, to crops or weeds in which active foraging takes place.

It is less toxic to mammals than insects and aquatic organisms, but cats are especially sensitive to it and it is dangerously toxic to them.

Human toxicity: Permethrin is of low toxicity to humans. Dermal (skin) exposure to permethrin may cause irritation, itching, or paresthesia (a tingly, prickly sensation) at the site of contact. These symptoms rarely last more than 24 hours. Contact with the eyes may result in pain, redness, or a burning sensation. Ingestion of permethrin may cause sore throat, abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting. This is common sense stuff - don't eat it, drink it, rub it on your eyes or skin.

Fate in the Environment: Because permethrin binds very strongly to soil particles and it is nearly insoluble in water, it is not expected to leach or to contaminate groundwater The binding, or adsorption, of permethrin in soil may be limited to organic matter. It is not very mobile in a wide range of soil type Permethrin is readily broken down, in most soils except organic types. Synthetic pyrethroids can present a significant threat if they are used near estuarine areas. They tend to bioconcentrate in these environments.

Note that reading customer reviews of this product, despite the label claim that it lasts for three months, it really needs to be reapplied every few weeks. Many people said things like this: "Worked for a little over a month and then the ants came back twice as bad. Works like a charm for a little while. " This is typical for insecticides and is part of the process of breeding resistance. The spray kills the most vulnerable of the pest insect population AND it kills all the beneficial predator insects that usually keep them in check. But the spray does not kill every single tick or ant or whatever. The most resistant ones are left and without any predators to control them, they come roaring back. And each time you do this the population becomes more resistant. In fact tick populations becoming resistant to pyrethroids and other acaricides is well known.e.g. : "Populations of southern cattle ticks, Boophilus microplus, from Mexico have developed resistance to many classes of acaricide including chlorinated hydrocarbons (DDT), pyrethroids, organophosphates, and formamidines (amitraz)" https://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/3024/PDF

Pcaris
Newly Registered

Thank you all for the information. The geese were on the lawn that night and seem to be fine. I normally would not use such harmful substances, but I found a tick in my bed and that would make anyone squirm...so I treated it with the least harmful I could find. Thanks again!

JONA
Greener Thumb

One thing that does worry me from this side of the pond, is the very lenient view you seem to have in the U.S. about some chemicals.
As for instance.
Carbaryl seems to be generally available to you at any garden store. It's been banned in the UK and Europe for many years as a carcinogenic. It is very persistent in fruit and any traces found on marketed fruit here would result in instant crop dumping and a fine.
Same applies to Glyphosate which we are banned from useing between the blossom period to harvest. As it can be found in the fruit if used during that period?

JONA
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:I wrote a thread here https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 11&t=57653, in which I summarized a whole bunch of information about commonly used garden poisons. I didn't look up yours specifically, but as a synthetic pyrethroid, it would have very similar toxicities to Permethrin, another in the same class:

Class and Uses: Permethin is a synthetic pyrethroid. Pyrethrins are derived from chrysanthemums, but the synthetic ones are much more concentrated and toxic. It is a broad spectrum insecticide that has been sprayed widely in mosquito abatement programs and used for lice, ticks, and scabies and on a variety of crops. It is a neurotoxin, which acts on the nervous system of insects and causes muscles to spasm, culminating in paralysis and death

Animal toxicity: Permethrin is highly toxic to both freshwater and estuarine aquatic organisms. Most agricultural, public health, and down-the-drain scenarios modeled resulted in exceedances in the acute risk quotient (RQ) for freshwater and estuarine fish, invertebrates, and sediment organisms. It is also extremely toxic to honeybees, as well as other beneficial insects. . Severe losses may be expected if bees are present at treatment time, or within a day thereafter . Permethrin is also toxic to wildlife . It should not be applied, or allowed to drift, to crops or weeds in which active foraging takes place.

It is less toxic to mammals than insects and aquatic organisms, but cats are especially sensitive to it and it is dangerously toxic to them.

Human toxicity: Permethrin is of low toxicity to humans. Dermal (skin) exposure to permethrin may cause irritation, itching, or paresthesia (a tingly, prickly sensation) at the site of contact. These symptoms rarely last more than 24 hours. Contact with the eyes may result in pain, redness, or a burning sensation. Ingestion of permethrin may cause sore throat, abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting. This is common sense stuff - don't eat it, drink it, rub it on your eyes or skin.

Fate in the Environment: Because permethrin binds very strongly to soil particles and it is nearly insoluble in water, it is not expected to leach or to contaminate groundwater The binding, or adsorption, of permethrin in soil may be limited to organic matter. It is not very mobile in a wide range of soil type Permethrin is readily broken down, in most soils except organic types. Synthetic pyrethroids can present a significant threat if they are used near estuarine areas. They tend to bioconcentrate in these environments.

Note that reading customer reviews of this product, despite the label claim that it lasts for three months, it really needs to be reapplied every few weeks. Many people said things like this: "Worked for a little over a month and then the ants came back twice as bad. Works like a charm for a little while. " This is typical for insecticides and is part of the process of breeding resistance. The spray kills the most vulnerable of the pest insect population AND it kills all the beneficial predator insects that usually keep them in check. But the spray does not kill every single tick or ant or whatever. The most resistant ones are left and without any predators to control them, they come roaring back. And each time you do this the population becomes more resistant. In fact tick populations becoming resistant to pyrethroids and other acaricides is well known.e.g. : "Populations of southern cattle ticks, Boophilus microplus, from Mexico have developed resistance to many classes of acaricide including chlorinated hydrocarbons (DDT), pyrethroids, organophosphates, and formamidines (amitraz)" https://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/3024/PDF
Interesting that Rainbow.
Over here growers who want to get into the supermarkets with their fruit have to be members of a group known as Applied Horticulture.
From this we are inspected every year to check of our records, growing, etc.
A bi-product of this is the use of pyrethroids.
They are not allowed.
How do they know if we have used them on the quiet.
They check in our orchards for two predators that keep many of the other pests at bay.
These are the typhladromid mite and the anthrocorid bug.
If we have used a pyrethroid spray there would be no sign of either of them....it kills them both.
Great indicator...and a lesson in intergrated pest control.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”