jordana0218
Newly Registered

Help identify pest that's eating cucumbers

Hi, I am new to this forum I started gardening a few years ago and everything has been going pretty good so far... until this year.

I just got my first Cucumbers in and was happy until checking on them today. Something seems to have taken a bite out if them but its not like anything I have seen and describing it to google doesnt help.

I have attached a picture if anyone happens to know what animal is causing this and maybe how to prevent it I would appreciate your input.

File size was too big so I uploaded it to gyazo

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hmmmm........ I don't see any teeth marks so am ruling out rodents. Likely a slug. A little Diatomaceous Earth sprinkled around the fruits when young will keep a lot of pests at bay.

jordana0218
Newly Registered

Thank you so much I am going to buy some today. I never thought about slugs being an issue though I have seen some come to my yard recently... Thank you again

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

A have turtles sometimes they make bites like that. Turtles can climb right up a tomato plant and bite holes in the sides of the ripe tomatoes. Turtles are hard to see I often find them hanging about 12" to 20" off the ground in a tomato plant. If they are under a squash leaf they are hard to see they are smaller than the leaves. If you keep seeing those type bites crawl through the garden on your hands and knees look in the plants and under big leaves. Are there turtles in your part of the world. I have a 4' tall fence around my garden turtles climb over the fence. Several years ago I watched a turtle try to climb the fence all day, he would get to the top and fall off over and over. Next day he was not there, don't know where he went.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Never seen a turtle here in my gardens... Definitely never seen one climb, anywhere.

I do think it's slugs.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Here are several videos of turtles climbing things. The turtles in my garden were 4" diameter, dark color hump back shell, yellow under side, not snapping turtles. A turtle can eat a whole tomato if they can get close enough to it. I have found tomatoes that were 1/4 and 1/2 eaten. I never plant cucumbers so I don't know if turtles like will eat those. I have seen squash with bites out of them. Turtles are smarter than dogs, dogs do not know what UP is. Every time a dog chases my cat up a tree the dogs look side to side like, where did he go? Dogs never look up. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbhMtbTFSDs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYcOaYcMCOU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrvfthrHYMI

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”