JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Anyone ever grow hops?

I'm growing hops for the first time this year...mainly as an experiment, but I do intend to brew with whatever I produce. Anyway, I assume the "fuzzy" things are the newly forming cones.

There is one problem though...I planted two different varieties, and I'm not sure which is which. :oops: :oops: :oops: I'm hoping the mature cones will be visually distinguishable.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, the thing is awesome. I don't brew.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I've never grown hops. But they do grow hops not too far from me at the organic farm for the emergency food network. I helped them picked their hops harvest a few years ago. It makes a great relaxation tea. I have some hops in the pantry that I bought at the health food store. I think that I will have some hops tea tonight. Thank you for the nudge.

Leezer

I'm in my second year of growing hops, a cascade and a goldings. Not much happened with them the first year, but it looks like you have many future cones! I have a lot more growth now in year 2 and hope to use what I harvest in brewing my beer. It's been a fun experiment for me so far. I didn't know they could be used in tea, may have to try that as well.

n8young
Cool Member

I have Cascades, and Nuggets that are probably 5 to 6 years old. First year no yield(as expected), second year not bad, third year I split some of the Cascade rhizomes off and now have two Cascades clusters growing, and I get a fairly good amount off of them. I think in total last year I got maybe close to a pound of hops. The funny thing is, the timing of the hops finally producing also coincides with the timing of when I stopped brewing, so now I just give the hops away to home brewers I know. They smell amazing, they are fun to watch grow, and also fun to harvest. In my area, they are a big hit with Japanese Beatles(boooooo).

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

I've also had trouble with the Japanese beetles...this is what I have going so far. Not sure if these are the nugget or cascade. My wife and I disagree on which we planted where. Embarrassing situation :oops:

Anyway, here they are...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”