HappyHolmes
Newly Registered

Funky mushroom!!

These funky mushrooms were scattered all throughout my raised garden bed this morning. I am new to this whole thing and do not know if I should be worried about this or not. All the plants are very healthy and growing strong but I don't want this to start to kill them. Also around some of the plants is this orange-ish mold type stuff. Any help on what I should do about both of these things would be greatly appreciated
image.jpg
image.jpg

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

What soil is that? I know that harm-less mushrooms like to grow in very woody, moist soil. These mushrooms can just be picked out with chopsticks and will not grow there again.

...but your soil doesn't look all that woody. Also, what do you fertilize with? I'm wondering if the fertilizer has something to do with this.

imafan26
Mod

The mushrooms may be coming from the compost. There may be something still decomposing. They usually appear when the soil is warm and wet. Be careful about watering and make sure you are not overwatering.

HappyHolmes
Newly Registered

AnnaIkona wrote:What soil is that? I know that harm-less mushrooms like to grow in very woody, moist soil. These mushrooms can just be picked out with chopsticks and will not grow there again.

...but your soil doesn't look all that woody. Also, what do you fertilize with? I'm wondering if the fertilizer has something to do with this.
I haven't used any fertilizer as of yet and the soil is just miracle grow organic garden soil. Like I said, I'm new to this whole gardening thing!

applestar
Mod

I see all kinds of bark chip like woody material -- was that part of the MG organic garden soil? -- is that the one that comes in all green bag?

Both fungi are just growing because they were growing in the soil mix, and water and the nutrients have been just right for them to fruit (above ground "mushrooms"). Basically harmless unless you have a mold/fungus allergy.

First one is slime mold, I can't remember the name of the second one but it's very common. Don't bother taking them off -- they will die and blend back into the soil. They WILL come back when conditions are favorable. It's no big deal, so you can relax.

Next time you open one of those bags, don't lean in with your face too close and don't take a deep breath just as a safety precaution -- I actually hold my breath, though I don't go so far as to wear a mask.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”