idsjdpjodsfpjo
Newly Registered

Somebody is eating my tomatos

This year my tomatoes are growing well but something is eating them. Does anybody know what could cause this kind of damage? Last year I had big caterpillars but their damage look differently and they were easy to spot. Could it be a squirrel? I saw one eating several heads of lettuce a few weeks ago.
IMG_20160625_121005.jpg

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

That is sun burn. I crowd my tomato plants a little so the leaves from all the plants shade each other to prevent sun burn. In July I sometimes put up a black screen wire sun shade.

imafan26
Mod

Yep, that is what it looks like Sunscald happens on peppers too. I just lost one the other day to that.

idsjdpjodsfpjo
Newly Registered

Gary350 wrote:That is sun burn. I crowd my tomato plants a little so the leaves from all the plants shade each other to prevent sun burn. In July I sometimes put up a black screen wire sun shade.
Interesting! I thought the more sun the better.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:Yep, that is what it looks like Sunscald happens on peppers too. I just lost one the other day to that.
I threw away 2 out of 3 bell peppers yesterday because of sun scald. I've also noticed some of my jalapeno peppers are getting a bit of it, but luckily those plants hide their peppers a bit more than the bell pepper plants and they aren't as exposed to the sun.

And the summer garden frustrations mount. :(

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”