GPC2012G
Newly Registered

ANYONE EVER GROW HORSERADISH

Has anyone ever grown horseradish? Mine are beautiful plants, but in the soil are a tangle of tiny roots, no larger main root that would be growing to harvest? I don't know if I am doing something wrong or what the problem is

imafan26
Mod

Re: ANYONE EVER GROW HORSERADISH

I have American horseradish. The roots go deep and they do get tangled. It is usually harvested in the fall. If the roots are more than two years old they can get woody. Don't give the plants too much nitrogen and they like a slightly alkaline soil or you will get a lot of leaves. My problem is not so much growing it as it pretty much takes care of itself. It is mostly a problem of containment since the patch just keeps getting bigger and encroaching on the pathway and the turmeric.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Algida

You'd harvest them the second year, end of summer, or fall.
I've grown one for a year, just to experiment, but gave up. After 3 years, it's still there, with two more nearby, so take care: it's invasive.

GPC2012G
Newly Registered

mine are in a humongous pot.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

Horseradish is very invasive and if you planted it in the ground then it has made a permanent home in your garden.
Zone 6b SE NY
My blog Peter's Vegetable Garden

imafan26
Mod

I agree. We did not actually plant the horseradish. The herb garden was renovated in 2008 and it just came up by itself. So did the comfrey. I have broken two shovel handles and one garden fork trying to pry it out. I have given up and just settle for containment now. I rarely even water it.

I usually harvest in October. Even then it is hard to dig up the roots. If I can get a six to eight inch section it is good.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

sunflower13

Someone planted horseradish in almost every plot of the garden where I am currently at. It is a nightmare to deal with. Definitely one for a big pot. It was smart of you to have planted it that way. Spearmint is another they planted. The roots are impossible to remove.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

Yeah that is what happened here, previous owner planted it and it had spread everywhere. The roots are just almost impossible to fully get up. It just keeps spreading and coming back. I lost a couple plants as the roots grew under the rootball and I pulled up the plant trying to get it up. Thankfully it doesn't spread too fast. Definitely a plant for a container.

The photo is what happens when a few tiny pieces of horseradish root are dumped with a pile of pulled weeds... in full shade!
Attachments
20160626_100956.jpg
Zone 6b SE NY
My blog Peter's Vegetable Garden

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Ugh! I had planted mine in the garden, not knowing how bad it spread. Planted in the spring, tryied digging it out about 3 months later when I found out how bad it was. Three plants had spread it's roots out 4 feet wide circle and down over 2 and half feet deep and I was still breaking off roots. I almost never use chemical but have been trying to kill it with chemical for 3 years and not tilling the area and it still is spreading. If I can't get rid of it, my husband will have to use the backhoe to dig it out.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”