rosiegirl
Cool Member

Should I thin these cucumber seedlings?

I planted these from seed. Do I need to thin them now?

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_2063.JPG

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

What type of cucumbers are they? If they are bushing type, maybe thinning would be needed (buy then again depending on the type of bushing cucumber). But if they are vining cucumbers, and have a trellis or something to grow vertically on, thinning may not be needed.

I'm guessing there's about 12 iches in between them?

catgrass
Green Thumb

You have only 2 seedlings per hill, I'd leave them alone.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would not thin.

Why do you plant cukes? For a few to eat fresh? For making pickles? For just a few to eat fresh 4 or 5 plants is enough. However if you want a bucketful to make pickles you need a cucumber patch. Plant a 30 foot row and put a seed every
8 inches in the row. Since the vines will go to 4 feet long you end up with a cucumber patch that is about 8 feet wide.

My dad used to plant 5 or six seeds together then move down the row 5 feet and repeat. The cukes would come up
and go out like the spokes on a wheel.

This year I planted then when the plants got up we had a cold night and it froze everything. So I started over late. At
this point things are just coming up. I don't know if I will have a harvest or not. Well, that is gardening. Every season
has its quirks and challenges. We plant in faith and hope.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Somehow I'm thinking you'll have your usual great harvest! You have a shorter season than I do down here, (tho sometimes here frosts are surprisingly early or late) but you have longer days at your latitude. :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”