Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Second pea planting very close alongside maturing one?

I want to plant a second crop of peas. The first crop, now setting pods, grows up both sides of a netted frame. As I don't have room for another frame, I'm thinking of planting two new rows close along either side of the older plants; ie there would now be 4 parallel rows very close together, 2 well advanced and 2 newly planted. The older ones could be snipped at ground level when done, or just left to rot. Comments?

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Not that I'm a pea expert or anything, but since peas and beans don't mind being crowded, I would say give it a shot. The old vines casting shade on the new plants might be an issue though?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Variety may make a difference? The Wando pea is heat tolerant and works well for a later planting. I don't think they are going to complain about the crowding of parallel rows.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

I planted my Sugar Snap Peas at 1" spacing in a triple row. I wound up about 50 plants in 4-5' of row. They didn't care one bit and grew into a giant mat that had to be tied up as it was so thick and heavy. I have harvested about a bucket of them so far.

Planting the new ones next to old ones is a good idea, if you have the climate to grow peas year round, as the symbiotic Mycorrhizae can spread easily between them.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Thanks all for the replies. I'm going to try it - I'll get some seed soaking today. Can't grow year-round but I should be able to get at least 2 crops per season. My rows run E-W and get sun mid-morn till sunset so shading won't be a problem. In fact in earlier years I grew peas where they got no sun at all (against a cool wall but with plenty of open sky.)

I've noticed that Oregon Giant seems to be less determinate as well as staying alive later than the others I grow.

imafan26
Mod

It helps to get varieties suited to your climate. I usually plant oregon sugar, but my local Manoa peas have better nematode and disease resistance.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”