Royalkangaroo
Newly Registered

What's wrong with my beets?

New to container gardening, and first post on helpfulgardener!

I've got beets and carrots in a homemade box that's 12"x12"x55". They sprouted nice and healthy however we've had consistent 80 degree weather and sun since planting (about 5 weeks ago). Last week we had a torrential rain pour that completely toppled everything over and a good portion of the beets now look horrid. They've seemed to develop red spots and some have shriveled. A few look healthier with larger leaves but still have small red spots. Looks like it could be disease but I'm not sure. The carrots are doing fine, however.

Any thoughts?

PS, I used container vegetable soil for these and my other veggies. My tomato, pepper, and beans are flourishing. I'm also in zone 5a

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Give it some time. They will likely send out some new leaves.

imafan26
Mod

It is probably fungal or bacterial spots. They don't llike their leaves to stay wet. Pick off the diseased leaves.

CLC
Newly Registered

Your box may be 12" deep, but if you only fill it with 8 inches of soil, your carrots and beets aren't going to be very happy - they need depth. The angle of the picture may be deceiving though and they are more full than they look?

Also, it looks like your box has a bottom and is stiiting on a deck? You may have drainage problems. Most veggies don't like to be sitting in water.

Royalkangaroo
Newly Registered

The box is filled with about 11" of soil. It also has plenty of drain holes and sits on "feet" that keep it elevated off the deck. I'll keep an eye on them. They all seem to have emerging new leaves.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”