raspberryrush

Lettuce or weed?

Does anyone know if this is lettuce? Looks like a weed to me but they're only in my lettuce rows... I planted a mixed lettuce mix. Thanks for your help!
Attachments
13412114_10205839081810082_8639186231328297440_o.jpg

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Looks a bit like arugula to me. What does it smell like?

raspberryrush

AnnaIkona wrote:Looks a bit like arugula to me. What does it smell like?
Ahh I hope it is arugula, that would be great. That's a smart trick, I'll try smelling it and see if that tells me anything. Thank you.

applestar
Mod

It's actually not arugula and some people think it's weed, but it's called "goosefoot". Related to "lambs quarters", also considered weed, it is very edible and quite good. It's cultivated form is also called --
Aztec Spinach (Huauzontle), OrganicHot Weather Greens | Bountiful Gardens
https://www.bountifulgardens.org/products/VGR-3771

A relative of quinoa and spinach.
Basically, a quinoa bred for mild leafy greens.
Sprouts quickly for baby leaves for salad mix. Leaves taste like spinach, with no oxalic acid "metallic" taste.
I would keep some of them -- cull enough of them so they don't suppress the lettuce growth -- and harvest by clipping the tender top sprig and side leaves -- you can eat fresh with your lettuce in salads or cook like spinach. Later, if you let it grow on and go to seed, you will continue to have some grow in your garden.

In my garden, they become infested by leaf miners after hot weather arrives, so that's when I stop harvesting. They are basically good for harvesting while the lettuce lasts.

...btw... In the bottom left corner, I think I see another "weed" -- "pigweed" or "wild amaranth" which is another edible weed, though not as nice as goosefoot.

JohnGCS

I didn't know its edible. I guess you learn something everyday. Thanks applestar! Do you have any good recipes for this?

raspberryrush

Wow, thank you Applestar!! Very informative.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

What is a weed? My definition is: A plant out of place. IOW if you didn't plant it, it is a weed. As noted though often
weeds are edible.

jasonvanorder

I didnt know it was edible! My garden would be over run by them if I didnt pull them every couple days

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”