Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Does anyone Hill up their Corn?

Does anyone hill up their corn? This provides more moisture for the roots and holds the plants straight up during thunder storms. I sprinkled fertilizer along the corn before hilling them up. This corn crop is, 4 rows 12 feet long, 32" apart, seeds 6" apart, plants about 10" to 12" tall. 100 plants should equal about 200 ears of corn. Every 2 weeks I will plant another corn crop. Next crop will be larger 175 plants, I want to compare pollination of the larger crop to the smaller crop. It is 100 degrees today, it will probably be hotter when corn is ready to harvest. Corn should have been planted much sooner but the crazy spring weather caused me trouble. 100+ degrees is not good for corn. In Arizona they have machines that hill the soil up on the corn I was told they do it for 2 reasons, they need a ditch down the center of each row for irrigation plus the soil hilled up on the plants holds moisture. Corn in AZ makes no kernels on the ears humidity is too low and heat is too hot so they plant seeds 1" apart, all the corn is cut for silage.

Last edited by Gary350 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:41 am, edited 7 times in total.

imafan26
Mod

I don't but I don't have room to get between the corn. The prop roots usually keep them from falling over and our windy season is usually in the early part of the year so it is less of a problem for the plants to fall over unless a tropical storm comes by, but then everything else will also get hammered.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I try to get as much soil around the corn stalks as soon as they are 6 - 8 inches tall. Is tough sometimes because I have it planted so close to other items. We did this with tractor when I was growing up, and called it "side dressing" or "laying by"

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

No hilling of corn here.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I planted 4 more 12 foot long rows of corn yesterday evening. Weather man said it was going to rain last night but no rain. No rain in the forecast for a week of 92 to 98 degrees weather.

joed2323

I have no choice as my corn grows to pyle as much soil around the stalks/base and pack it tight.

The winds in western north dakota have created challenges for me last year.

JosephsGarden
Cool Member

I hill corn sometimes, but only if the hilling is done at the right time in the growth cycle so that it will bury weed seedlings, so that I don't have to actually weed the corn...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”