pleasegrow
Newly Registered

ground cherries and cucumbers wont grow?

I have 2 raised beds, one with tomatoes , the other with cucumbers, ground cherries and sweet peppers. All were planted at the same time. Its been a month and the tomato plants have literally tripled in height/size, however on the other bed everything has remained roughly the same size (cucumbers have grow a tiny bit). Ive been applying a 15-30-30 fertilizer every 2 weeks and watering regularly, I don't see any sign of disease or anything. Is there anything I can do? Can pruning a bit help growth?

pleasegrow
Newly Registered

https://I.imgur.com/mmyKDkK.jpg
heres a picture of the plants in question

applestar
Mod

Is the hedge behind the tomato bed, too? Tomatoes will grow well at 5-10 °F lower temps than peppers and cukes.

...the 15-30-30 fertilizer -- how are you applying it? Every two weeks seem extreme. Those are pretty high numbers too, though maybe it just seems that way to me because I only use organic and I put some in the bed at prep and maybe a little more when planting, then not again until blooming. I do supplement weakly with other things I suppose.

pleasegrow
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:Is the hedge behind the tomato bed, too? Tomatoes will grow well at 5-10 °F lower temps than peppers and cukes.

...the 15-30-30 fertilizer -- how are you applying it? Every two weeks seem extreme. Those are pretty high numbers too, though maybe it just seems that way to me because I only use organic and I put some in the bed at prep and maybe a little more when planting, then not again until blooming. I do supplement weakly with other things I suppose.
well I'm just following the recommended application rate, around a a teaspoon per L. The hedge is behind the tomato bed too, they do need to be trimmed back because its creating shade in the tomato bed.

applestar
Mod

If the hedge is close enough to need to be trimmed, what I was thinking is that their roots might be stealing all the nutrients and water.

What about the other thing? What have the temperatures been like?

A teaspoon per L, so this is liquid fertilizer?

imafan26
Mod

15-30-30 is miracle grow. It is a fast release fertilizer not for seeds. It is usually 1 tablespoon per gallon or a little less than a teaspoon per liter. But should be fed only once every two weeks but in reality you could do it once a month and it will still be fine. You may have fertilized too soon and actually prevented germination with too much nitrogen. In the beginning squash and cumber take a little bit to grow because the roots grow first before the top. It doesn't look like much is happening because most of the action takes place underground. If the top growth looks healthy you just need patience grasshopper. It should be growing faster by now. MIne are only slow for the first 3-4 weeks before the top starts to take off. So your cucumbers may be just needing a little more time. Peppers are slow the first couple of months for the same reason, the roots grow first. I don't grow ground cherries.

You will have to let some of the fertilizer leach out. Transplants may grow if you start them in pots without fertilizer and put more compost in the garden to try to dilute it out a bit. Add about 4 inches to the bed and mix it in.

Hold off on the fertilizing until you see some growth developing and only fertilize once a month or what we do is weakly weekly. 1/4 strength solution every week for three weeks and the last week only water to leach out the excess salts.
Usually people pick a day they can remember like Wednesday and do the fertilizing on Wednesday mornings when the stomata are open. And select like the first week to be water only. In 5 week months, add an extra week of water only.

Once the plants have matured, back off to once a month feedings only. Otherwise too much nitrogen will give you growth at the expense of bloom and fruit.

I would get a soil test before you plant in the next rotation or in the fall so you can plan amend for the Spring garden. Water soluble food is expensive and leaches readily.
A soil test will tell you how much and what kind of fertilizer to apply. You may find that you have enough phosphorus and potassium and you only need to add nitrogen or correct the pH. The more organics like compost and slow release fertilizers you use, the less fertilizer you will need to add over time.

pleasegrow
Newly Registered

imafan26 wrote:15-30-30 is miracle grow. It is a fast release fertilizer not for seeds. It is usually 1 tablespoon per gallon or a little less than a teaspoon per liter. But should be fed only once every two weeks but in reality you could do it once a month and it will still be fine. You may have fertilized too soon and actually prevented germination with too much nitrogen. In the beginning squash and cumber take a little bit to grow because the roots grow first before the top. It doesn't look like much is happening because most of the action takes place underground. If the top growth looks healthy you just need patience grasshopper. It should be growing faster by now. MIne are only slow for the first 3-4 weeks before the top starts to take off. So your cucumbers may be just needing a little more time. Peppers are slow the first couple of months for the same reason, the roots grow first. I don't grow ground cherries.

You will have to let some of the fertilizer leach out. Transplants may grow if you start them in pots without fertilizer and put more compost in the garden to try to dilute it out a bit. Add about 4 inches to the bed and mix it in.

Hold off on the fertilizing until you see some growth developing and only fertilize once a month or what we do is weakly weekly. 1/4 strength solution every week for three weeks and the last week only water to leach out the excess salts.
Usually people pick a day they can remember like Wednesday and do the fertilizing on Wednesday mornings when the stomata are open. And select like the first week to be water only. In 5 week months, add an extra week of water only.

Once the plants have matured, back off to once a month feedings only. Otherwise too much nitrogen will give you growth at the expense of bloom and fruit.

I would get a soil test before you plant in the next rotation or in the fall so you can plan amend for the Spring garden. Water soluble food is expensive and leaches readily.
A soil test will tell you how much and what kind of fertilizer to apply. You may find that you have enough phosphorus and potassium and you only need to add nitrogen or correct the pH. The more organics like compost and slow release fertilizers you use, the less fertilizer you will need to add over time.
well all those plants were bought from a local nursery so I didnt start from seed. I'm starting to think its the way I transplanted them. the cucumber seedlings were 4 per pot so I had to separate them, potentially damaging the roots a bit.

imafan26
Mod

I plant in community pots and transplant them to 3.5 inch pots later. A few roots do get damaged but they transplant just fine. You have not indicated in your profile your location and zone. Tomatoes, squash, cukes, peppers are warm season crops. Tomatoes and cucumbers will still germinate but grow slower in cold weather and peppers germinate poorly until you get over 68 degrees. They all grow faster when the weather is over 70 but less than 90. Tomatoes will germinate even at 50 degrees and if you plant them deep they will grow accessory roots and that helps to establish them faster. if your tomato bed is in more sun it will also make a difference.

If the plants are growing differently in different beds you have to be a detective and find out what is different about them
If you prepared them the same way and fertilize both the same, then it should not be the soil or the fertilizer causing issues because those plants usually respond to similar treatments.

The amount of light they get can be a factor especially if one bed gets shaded by a building or structure so it gets less light for part of the day..

I still think it could be that it just needs more time for the roots to get established. However, a month for transplants is a long time to wait for them to take off unless they had a setback when they were transplanted.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Just curious about the amount of sunshine this bed is getting? If possible, full sun for most of the day will get better results.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”