Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Re: Fruitless tomato grapes

I know nothing about hydroponics, but as a general rule, not all blossoms on all plants always produce fruits. The stem you show without fruits is further down on the main stem; maybe the plant just wasn't ready to set fruit yet?

Often my tomato plants outdoors don't produce fruits on the early blossoms. Maybe 68 degrees is a bit cool?

applestar
Mod

You said this is indoors, right? What are you doing to ensure pollination? Outdoors, tomato blossoms are stimulated into releasing pollen when bees buzz the flowers or wind or animal brushing by shake them. You can simulate those conditions by gently tapping/flicking the floral truss, or popular method (that I use) is to touch the top of the floral truss stem of open blossoms with electric toothbrush. Alternatively, you can buy a specific device for that purpose.

Even outdoor tomatoes benefit from buzzing, especially when insects are scarce or high humidity causes pollen to clump and not release easily. However, tomatoes will not set fruits if temps are too high (90's) or too low. (low 50's and below. Upper 60's is perfect tomato fruit setting temp, btw. :wink: )

Incidentally, peppers and eggplants, benefit from same treatment.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Ha ha! I figgered if I suggested 68 might be too cool for tomatoes to set fruit I would find out it was just right! :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”