ace1719

The good, the bad, and the ugly

So, I began a new garden this year. I realized the apartment I was living in had a flat roof, and my landlord was okay with me building a garden on it, so I did it! Our building is taller than the surrounding buildings, and there are no tall trees nearby, so my plants get a tonne of sunlight. The only downside is that it gets quite windy. Many of my plants are growing very, very well, but some plants are not doing so hot, and others failed completely. I was wondering whether some of you could give me your thoughts on the failures. If it's something that I can fix, I'd rather not make the same mistake again. Except for the "problem" pictures, most are two weeks old. They've grown a lot in those two weeks!

The Good
My peas came in great. My squash are, by and large, doing very well, as are my cucumbers, zucchini and melons. My lettuce is coming in nicely, as are my chives. After a slow start, my asparagus, basil and ground cherries are bulking out well. My tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and corn are also looking good. My gooseberry is doing wonderfully, and my brassica are coming in strong.

Melons (raised bed), peas (rear)
Melons (raised bed), peas (rear)
Peppers (left front), eggplant (purple bucket), tomatoes (wood bucket behind eggplant) and corn (rear)
Peppers (left front), eggplant (purple bucket), tomatoes (wood bucket behind eggplant) and corn (rear)
Cucumber and squash
Cucumber and squash
Beans in the back, zucchini and cucumber on the left, and rhubarb on the right.
Beans in the back, zucchini and cucumber on the left, and rhubarb on the right.
Chives, blackberry and tayberry.
Chives, blackberry and tayberry.
Raspberry, gooseberry and basil (left to right)
Raspberry, gooseberry and basil (left to right)
Kale, brussels sprouts and cabbage.
Kale, brussels sprouts and cabbage.
A view of my garden with the CN tower in the distance.
A view of my garden with the CN tower in the distance.
The Bad and The Ugly will continue in the next post. I can only upload 8 attachments.

Asica

This looks great. I love how you use this space.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”