Brown Thumbs

What's wrong with this squash plant?

It's the only one that looks like this and it suddenly happened several days ago. It's like the vine is growing upward and the leaves look very different (deformed). Nothing has been sprayed, except one treatment of milk and water when a plant next to it appeared to have powdery mildew. Anything I can do at this point?
Attachments
image.jpeg

applestar
Mod

It could be some kind of virus transmitted by a pest insect....

imafan26
Mod

I think it is more likely caused by a sucking pest. Notice how the younger leaves are getting smaller and more curled. Usually mites. You would need a micoscope to see them under the leaves. But that kind of stunting and curling is typical of the kind of damage they do. The like hot, dry, dusty conditions.

Mites are difficult to control
Forcefull jet of water under the leaves will dislodge a lot of the mites. You will need to do this daily.
Sulfur spray. Sulfur can be used as a fungicide or miticide. Do not spray when the temperature exceeds 90 degrees.
Insecticidal soap 1 tsp insecticidal soap + 1/2 cup alcohol in a quart of water
There are other types of sprays
Like garlic pepper sprays that are used for mites.
3 in 1 spray has sulfur and pyrethrins which are very effective in controlling mites, but it will also kill predators so you will need to keep spraying or the mites will rebound.
Do not use sulfur or any oil within two weeks before or after the other or the plants will burn. Always test a new batch on one leaf only before spraying all of the plant to make sure it won't damage the plant. Wait a day to see what it does.
https://www.veggiegardener.com/12-homema ... he-garden/

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Was there anything in the sprayer before the milk and water? Any herbicides EVER in that sprayer?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Brown Thumbs

It's similar to those with herbicide damage based on the pictures. There hasn't been any sprayed recently, only a small amount around the outside edge of my garden a month ago when I first planted (glyphosate). I've never seen this before. Maybe it'll pull through.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Herbicide drift us all it takes, and that does look consistent with her iced damage. The timing is also consistent.

I disagree that it looks like insect damage.

imafan26
Mod

Do you use the same sprayer for herbicides and pesticides?

Agreed that it does resemble herbicide damage. But if glyphosate was sprayed over a month ago, damage should have been visible a lot sooner. glyphosate does not pesist in the soil unless an extended version was used.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

But if glyphosate was sprayed over a month ago, damage should have been visible a lot sooner.
In my experience, the damage takes time to grow out. The plants in my garden continued to grow like this after runoff exposure to weed n feed. Uptake exposure takes time to grow out, as does damaged tissue cells trying to grow. Growth is both stunted, and distorted.

imafan26
Mod

I really don't use a lot of herbicide so I haven't seen the kind of damage you describe. I guess I have a different experience. I do not use extended versions of herbicides and only use regular Round Up as a last resort and not very often. It is why I am so inundated with weeds.
When I have overspray, it appears within days as drying or white spots if it was a fine spray blown by the wind. I try to use the dropper method instead on nutsedge. I get the same thing when I get overspray when I bleach the benches.

Thank you for the information.

Brown Thumbs

The outer parameter was sprayed only and that was actually five weeks ago. This started a few days ago after a big rain. Weather has since been hot and dry. The only thing I have done since is added granular fertilizer, 888, at the base, which I did to each squash plant since it has started flowering.

No, I always use separate sprayers.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I don't use them either, but my neighbors use weed n feed and spray the fence lines so they don't have to weedeat. The power and gas company both come out and spray "the good stuff" around polls, lines, and even right on my property under our power and gas meters. There's not even any weeds there, just herbs, and they sprayed them all.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”