russelljane
Newly Registered

Too late to start garden?

Hi ! I'm new to the forums and the gardening game itself. I'm hoping to start my first vegetable garden, planting in a 4 x 10 raised bed.

Is it too late to start tomato, eggplant, zucchini, squash, and pepper crops? I live in Alabama, where the average temperature is around 95 F (35 C) each day...What if I started from plants?
What can I plant right now?

Apologies if this is redundant! I've been researching for the past few weeks but am finding so much conflicting info.

Thanks

webmaster
Site Admin

You may wish to focus on faster growing and prolific tomatoes, like cherry tomatoes. You may still be able to get those going if you're starting from seed. Otherwise try some starts, plants that have already been started.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is not too late if you buy plants. It really is very late to be starting tomatoes and peppers from seed. And you don't want the tiny baby plants in the little six packs. You need good sized transplants in quart size nursery pots.

Then get them used to the hot sun gradually. Once they are in the ground, keep them in moist soil and well mulched and maybe give them some shade from hottest afternoon sun. Should be fine! :)

applestar
Mod

I think you could start melons and watermelons and okra from seeds if you can keep them watered.

Maybe zucchini and squash, pumpkins, too -- I think this is more question of pest issues than heat.

You could start sweet potatoes by growing slips from organic potatoes and probably have enough time for them to grow -- do you know when your first average frost is?

You could try southern peas and heat tolerant beans like asparagus/yard long and rattlesnake.

If you can get started plants of eggplants, they should be OK in the heat.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Zucchini, squash and pumpkins should do just fine started from seed. Do you know how big these things get? 4X10 ain't much space for growing squash.

applestar
Mod

Be sure to read this thread, too -- very related topic

Subject: what plants do well planted late, in 90º - 100º?

russelljane
Newly Registered

Thank you guys! Will end up posting what we decide on

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”