BartJY

Cucumber problem

Hi Folks,

My Cucumbers are dying. The stems are rotting at the soil line. What could be causing this? How do I fix it? Last year they grew like gangbusters..

Bart

imafan26
Mod

Hi Bart can you update your profile with your location and zone and upload a picture so we can see what is happening to the plants.

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

So not fair when things like this happen! Anyway, two fungal diseases you might want to read about: Fusarium wilt and Verticulum wilt. I certainly hope that's not what you have as I've never managed to salvage any cucurbits of mine once it was infected... :(

catgrass
Green Thumb

Where are you located? Have you had a lot of rain? Re-plant, it's still early.

BartJY

About four weeks of rain early on in Spring, but normal rain fall since I planted them. I reseeded the plants that failed. The plants that failed were all store bought.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I find cucumbers are one of those plants that love to be direct sown into the ground by seed and not transplanted. Plus, for under $2 you can get all the seed you could possibly need for a backyard garden and have some left over for an early fall planting if you live in an area of mild weathered falls.

BartJY

Last year, a bumper crop year, were all seed grown. Next year I'll plant the seeds myself....

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You should still be fine to plant cukes from seed. They like warm weather.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”