Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Sulfur for weed control.

I bought this 25 lb bag of sulfur at Farmers Co-op for $20 to use mostly for snake control. I have used this before for weed control. This is great for fence rows where weeds are hard to cut down and they keep growing back. It kills poison ivy too. This will stay in the soil for 6 to 8 weeks, it takes a lot of rain to make it go away. Sulfur turns the soil very high acid it will kill just about every thing if you give it an over dose. I used the kitchen flower sifter to remove the lumps then I sprinkled a 12" wide sulfur path along the border of the 1/2 acre back yard. There are several unwanted weeds coming up in hard to kill places this stuff costs less than Round Up so I gave the poison ivy and other plants a good dose of sulfur. I cut down some bushes they are trying to grow back so I gave them a good taste of sulfur too. Pine trees, blue berries and other plants like high acid soil be very careful how much sulfur you give them.

imafan26
Mod

I use sulfur for fungal control and occasionally to acidify the garden. But, I think I would rather use Round Up instead of over applying sulfur that will damage the soil for a lot longer time. Changing the soil environment that rapidly with so much sulfur will kill soil organisms and adversely afftect the soil for a long time.

Gasoline and bleach works too, but neither is an environmentally sound approach.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”