Lcollura
Newly Registered

Bell peppers

Something is eating all my leaves on my bell peppers. How do I find out what it is and how to TREAT? I have pics of plants. The last picture is of a plant that was about 5-6 inches tall and about 4 inches wide. It easy eaten overnight.

Lcollura
Newly Registered

:-()

applestar
Mod

Sometimes you have to go out at night and surprise them at their dastardly deeds. Or try going out as soon as it's light enough to see in the morning before sun rise, while the nocturnal pest is still munching or haven't quite managed to go into hiding.

Try to get your pictures uploaded -- instructions are here :arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =23&t=3724

But two ...no... Three possible culprits I can think of right away are slugs, hornworms, and army worms.

Lcollura
Newly Registered

[attachment=0]20160604_044745.jpg[/attachment]This is one pic.
Attachments
20160604_044745.jpg

Lcollura
Newly Registered

[attachment=0]20160604_045203.jpg[/attachment]This is just a plant that was 6 inches high and about 5 inches wide. Eaten overnight.
Attachments
20160604_045203.jpg

applestar
Mod

Oh sadness! Not even a bit of leaf left? :(

Well I thought of another critter since you are in the south -- roof rats.

But let's see, since they are in containers, start by checking for slugs -- gently push on to side/turn over the container and examine the drainage holes in case they are hiding there -- favorite spot. If there are attached saucers, you will have to really look or maybe sprinkle up to a teaspoon of Epsom salts in the saucer.

Lcollura
Newly Registered

Thank you. I will try that. They will eat a plant overnight? This really has me stomped.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

People say that slugs can totally destroy a plant like that over night, but I haven't seen it. IME slugs usually leave just holes, which can be enough holes that the leaves are like lace or skeletonized. But they don't like the big leaf veins. Slug damage:

Offhand to have it totally stripped like that in one night, I would be thinking about varmints. (Roof rats? never heard of that one and I don't think I want to know!). Have you seen rabbits, woodchucks or other critters like that?

I was having seedlings destroyed, like totally disappeared, or cut off at ground level, or nibbled down from the top until there was just a stub. My culprit, I'm pretty sure, was the bunny I keep seeing in the neighbor's yards. I put up a rabbit fence and no further losses.

Lcollura
Newly Registered

These are on my porch and are fenced in. I don't have any that look like your pics. It either straps the peppers of their leaves and peppers or completely eat a plant. I will look up roof rats though. Thanks.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”