Lonesomedave
Location: NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE- zone 6B - 7A on USDA plant hardiness map

Tomato Production

my garden is doing very well...I have had to supplement my tomato cages with some four foot poles that I have driven into the ground in order to support the weight...very good... :mrgreen:

all my tomatoes are producing a good amount of tomatoes, although none are even close to ripe yet....brandywine, cherokee pruple, white beauty etc

but by far my most productive seem to be my Black Krim....they have set so many tomatoes that it simply dwarfs all my others...I would almost say that my Back Krim have set as much fruit as all the rest put together...and the rest are not slackers....it is just that the black krim are in overdrive

and, yes...there are a few cat faced black krim, but for the most part they are big and round and lovely

which of your tomatoes are producing the most?....just curious

I think I will be able to judge black krim for taste...I hope my neighbors like tomatoes, cause there is no way we are gonna be able to eat them all

/dave/

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Since the weather has been bad this year and spring has been quite cold, we planted our 1ft tall seedlings outside only 1 month ago.

We planted more than 30 Black Krim and about 10 of each other variety; brandywine, beefsteak, cherry, etc. So we're expecting quite a bit of black Krims this year! :)

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Production begins here in mid-July and ripe tomatoes the end of July, so this is premature for me. Here, Black Krim puts on lots of small not so good tasting fruits, so they never get into my garden. Some like them, some do not; I am a not or like some say, a knot-head.

Lonesomedave

PaulF wrote:Production begins here in mid-July and ripe tomatoes the end of July, so this is premature for me. Here, Black Krim puts on lots of small not so good tasting fruits, so they never get into my garden. Some like them, some do not; I am a not or like some say, a knot-head.
I obviously don't know about the taste yet, as they are not ripe....but...I can safely say they will not be small....my black krim tomatoes are really big, and I look forward to trying them

oh...and BTW....I stand corrected.....I went out this evening and I found that my sunsugar cherry tomatoes have begun to ripen....they were the ones inside the plant so I had not noticed before...so I picked about 30 and cut them in half and we had them for dinner in a salad....first tomatoes of the year....yippee.....my big tomatoes are still way green though....patience

/dave/

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

My first cherry tomato was (completely) ripe a couple days ago. Since then I've had a couple more. None of the big tomatoes have blushed yet, though some are getting pale green.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I'm getting a lot of fruit set from Valencia, Stupice, and Cherokee purple.

So far, I've a ripe Black from Tula, Orange Amana, 3 Stupice, several Snow White Cherry, and few sun gold.

I've NEVER had tomatoes ripen this early...ever.

Weird season for sure!

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Sigh, nothing here yet, only a couple of blossoms on one of my cherry plants. It froze heavily here only a couple of weeks ago, had to replant them all. Luckily I had lots of extras I had started from seeds. Glad I planted "more" than I needed.

Unbelievably, it's forecast to be 100 degrees here today at 5000 feet.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Jeez!! Tough climate to garden in! From frost to 100 degrees in two weeks!

I have never been much in to greenhouses, because in my climate it seems like they only really make a difference for a few weeks in spring and few weeks in fall. But in your climate a greenhouse might really make sense. Just a little bit of added heat in the greenhouse might get a lot of things through those late frosts.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Yeah that would probably be a good idea. I still haven't seen any apples on the tree yet. It was loaded with blossoms but I think the heavy freezes destroyed any chances of fruit. Last year it was loaded with apples.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Lindsaylew82 wrote:I'm getting a lot of fruit set from Valencia, Stupice, and Cherokee purple.

So far, I've a ripe Black from Tula, Orange Amana, 3 Stupice, several Snow White Cherry, and few sun gold.

I've NEVER had tomatoes ripen this early...ever.

Weird season for sure!
Mine seem to be a little early this year also. Less than a dozen so far but Cherokee Purple leads the way, and is GOOD!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I am in Murfreesboro TN about 30 miles from you. I have 24 tomatoes plants 3 to 4 feet tall. Weather was cold and wet this year I planted my tomatoes late. They all have tiny tomatoes we hope to have ripe tomatoes by July. I planted all 6 beefsteak varieties, I experimented with lots of different tomatoes many years ago now we only plant what tastes best and very high producers for canning 120 pints and quarts in mason jars. Everything looks good so far. I use 8 foot sections of cement rebar to hold up my tomato cages, cherry tomatoes are 54" tall.

Lonesomedave

Gary350 wrote:I am in Murfreesboro TN about 30 miles from you. I have 24 tomatoes plants 3 to 4 feet tall. Weather was cold and wet this year I planted my tomatoes late. They all have tiny tomatoes we hope to have ripe tomatoes by July. I planted all 6 beefsteak varieties, I experimented with lots of different tomatoes many years ago now we only plant what tastes best and very high producers for canning 120 pints and quarts in mason jars. Everything looks good so far. I use 8 foot sections of cement rebar to hold up my tomato cages, cherry tomatoes are 54" tall.
I took a chance and planted early

you ever go over to Martin's?...that's one of my favorite places...several of my tomatoes came from there this year

/dave/

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

There's a BrAnDyWiNe starting to ripennnnnnn!!!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

June 1 they go in the garden I don't use supports, just plant them and let them sprawl. I am liking one called "Ambrosia"

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Now I have an answer to what is my most productive tomato. Park's Whopper. It currently has a dozen tomatoes on it and they just keep getting huger! None have ripened yet, but some are getting pale green.
6-17-16 tomatoes.jpg
It was hard to manage the ruler and take the picture, but that one is four inches across. That one is at the bottom in this picture:
6-17-16 tomatoes2.jpg
This one is just labeled Rutgers Heirloom, determinate. It also has a dozen tomatoes on it, but a bit smaller
6-17-16 tomatoes3.jpg
They are just chugging along despite temps any where up to 97 for over a week now.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

My tomatoes are coming in strong and looking good. I planted several Amos Coli this year, and they are doing great.

Pear shaped tomato that makes a perfect "kitchen sink tomato sandwich"

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

We like Rutger here! Very tasty, but they are determinate IME.

We had Valencia two days in a row!
Lots of cherries, the Cherokee Purple are still getting large, no one close to ripening yet. We did get the first off Eva Purple Ball, and they were delish!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"We like Rutger here! Very tasty, but they are determinate IME. " Yeah, I said that.

I've been eating my Husker red cherry tomatoes for awhile now. Only had one of the regular tomatoes ripen so far and that was a Park's original, which is smallish.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

"We like Rutger here! Very tasty, but they are determinate IME. " Yeah, I said that.

Excuuuuuuuuuse ME! :roll: Distracted reading I guess.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”