Mommyoftwo

Too late to move container plants into soil?

To move my container plants into the ground? I don't want to shock my plants and .make them die but the containers are too small now for them? I was going to dig a bed and put some manure and ssoiland mix it with the dirt. Is this a bad idea?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

What plants are you considering doing this with and how far along are they as far as starting to set blossoms and some flowers/fruit/vegetables?

If they are not going to make it in containers, then by all means put them in the ground, but doing so will often set them back a bit. If you are gentle with the transplanting, it will likely lessen the shock. Once in the ground, keep them well watered but not saturated to lessen the stress on them.

If using manure, make sure it is well composted and not anything fresh as that will burn the plants and likely kill them.

What have you got to lose in transplanting them if they are not going to make it in their containers? Go for it and good luck.

Mommyoftwo

I have 8 tomatoes plants that were given to me. Three are in biggish co trainers and only one of them has fruit. Two tomatoes are not growing at all, and three are in tiny pots and they need to be in the ground. All my bell peppers are in tiny pots so they need to be ttransplanted.I have a green bean that seems to be doing well bit isn't flowering like the tomatoes. Also my peppercini plant is doing well bit in a small 3 gallon pot. Amd I have a few zucchini plants that need to be transplanted and one plant that is flowering like crazy bit its all male flowers.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would put them in the ground. Most things should be set the same depth as they are in the pots, however tomatoes can be set a bit deeper as the stems will send out roots. The roots of most of our garden plants will go from 3 to 8 feet deep when in the ground. Can't do that in a container.

Mommyoftwo

Should I leave my peas in the pots as well? Why is my zucchini only producing male flowers? Should I just transplants all and see how it goes?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Your peas will likely be done very soon, but it you have a spot for them, just transplant them as a whole clump.

Make only flowers are commonly the first to show. The fruits usually take a little longer to show up to the party!

You could post pictures of all the plants and their pot size, and we could better assist you in what needs to be immediately transplanted, later transplanted, or maybe what can stay.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Mommyoftwo wrote:Should I leave my peas in the pots as well? Why is my zucchini only producing male flowers? Should I just transplants all and see how it goes?

Some of the answers you seek may ultimately depend on what part of the world you are living in. I live in the deep south and it is now summer with daily heat getting to be unbearable in the garden and our "dog days" are still a month away when July and August get even hotter. In my neck of the woods, my tomato plants are usually done by mid July and most everything else is struggling in the daily heat and fungal issues associated with our high humidity levels.

Let us know what part of the country you are living in and you can get more specific advice for your region.

Mommyoftwo

I live in Central California. Sorry I forgot to mention it before. I will go out and take pictures. If my peas will be edone soon then ill literally only have three peas. Its not really flowering. Probably because its in a pot? I have a lot of baby peppers and cucumbers and stuff I need to get I. The ground.

Allyn
Green Thumb

I agree with jal_ut this time. (Not that I think he is wrong other times, but just because we live in very different climates and geography so our experiences are very different.) If the pots are small, the plants don't have much of a chance anyway. Go ahead and put them in the ground and then nurture them as Gumbo suggested.

And yes, do post pictures. we like pictures. :)

Mommyoftwo

Ill start uploading one by one
Attachments
received_815093825291579.jpeg

Mommyoftwo

Here is a general idea of the small containers
Attachments
received_815093181958310.jpeg

Mommyoftwo

Tomatoes two vsrietys one isn't growing
Attachments
received_815093851958243.jpeg

Mommyoftwo

Perpercini plant that is doing decent
Attachments
received_815093785291583.jpeg

Mommyoftwo

Bell pepper needs transplanted
Attachments
received_815093795291582.jpeg

Mommyoftwo

Peas with few blooms
Attachments
received_815093805291581.jpeg

clipprjim
Newly Registered

I live west of Stockton on the delta. My 2 cents, I have found this drought has dried out the soil terribly as you know I'm sure the central valley is really dry. Maybe prepare your plot by soaking it then transplanting the next day or when the soil is just damp. That way you won't (maybe) have to play catchup like I am doing with my trees. I found this spring my peach and cherry tree are dying from thirst. I set a bucket in the root zone and a hose in it dripping, after 2 weeks its coming back. What I think may have happened (it appeared to) the water was wicked away until the soil in a 10 foot diameter was damp, then the tree looked good after a while. I would plant in compost, cover around the stem with cardboard, newspaper or more mulch to keep the roots damp.It is just so very dry again this year, my water table is 3 feet, the trees haven't reached it apparently. In my opinion keeping the plants watered at the right amount may be a challenge, 2 waterings a day sometimes may be needed. Your plants look good to me, thats a beautiful pepper plant, you have the battle half done, you have the "want to"!

Mommyoftwo

Update on my garden.

I transplanted everything except my peppercinnis plant. My tomatoes of course got shocked but they are coming back and even have a few new buds. My all except one zucchini plant is not getting bigger I might actual just pull them because I think they are root bound and won't grow anymore. My bell peppered are doing good, actallu have some buds on them. All in all it was a great learning experience. Next year will definitely be better.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”