kbrown1337

Should I thin my pole beans?

I planted about 15 beans at the base of my trellis, and they have been doing really good so far, however I just realized that apparently they should be spaced 3-4 inches apart, but they're all about 1 inch apart. I'd hate to have to kill some of them off! :cry:
But if it will help them later on then I'll do what I have to. What do you think?

Sunshine92
Newly Registered

I would weed some out to give the others room so they won't take up each other's nutrients if that makes any since? I say you could just move them without damaging them and just put them somewhere else but not so close together.

applestar
Mod

How wide is your trellis? You don't need 15 *pole* bean plants unless you really Really REALLY want beans anyway. I space them 4-6 inches apart and they will still turn into a jungle as they grow.

What variety pole beans? It sounds like they are just starting to grow?

imafan26
Mod

You could transplant them, but like Applestar said, you really have to love your beans. I would thin them, but since beans only produce for about 6 weeks or so, I would start another batch on another trellis about a month afte the first one so you can get a continuous supply. If you have enough beans from one planting you can always proccess or freeze them.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would let them grow. Have any bean poles? Push in a couple of bean poles each side of the trellis.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”