debjjdh
Newly Registered

I need help determining the culprit of yellow leaves I

Hi there! I am new and tried to introduce myself but couldn't figure out how to post :oops:
We built a greenhouse this year its 2x6 12x24. We filled it with horse compost. This compost we get from a local town that has a horseshow every year. When the show is over, which takes a few weeks, all the hay, straw and poop is scooped up with loaders and hauled a short distance to the town dump where they have varying mountains they have added wood chips too and they turn it using heavy equipment throughout the year. I live in a cold climate in the winter where we normally get a lot of snow and very cold temperatures. We filled the bed of the greenhouse with this, I covered the bed with weedbarrier and we covered the greenhouse with 6 mil plastic. I cut holes for veggies in the weedbarrier and some plants I started from seed others I bought. When I planted I mixed in soil in the spots where I planted. I have noticed that the veggies I planted first have curled and brown, or yellowing on the older leaves. The peas from seed and the cukes are looking pale at the bottom but the beans seem very happy. Before I got to put some of these plants in the ground they were in the greenhouse when it got very hot so they may have dried out while waiting to get their feet planted. I am wondering now what the culprit could be for the leaves to be like this or some of the stems
is it
being too hot and getting dried out prior to planting?
Is the compost to hot? Its been out for at least year before I got it
Could I be overwatering?
Hubby thinks some of the wood in the compost might be soaking up the water and robbing the plants?
Is there not enough nitrogen?
I usually water in the morning and open the greenhouse up so things don't bake. I would welcome any feedback from anyone in regard to this. Thank you all :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You could be over watering. Or it could be lack of Nitrogen. Not just because of the wood chips, but because the nutrients in the manure are slow release. They aren't available until the manure breaks down more. Besides the manure, have you been fertilizing at all? Your plants need some kind of quick release nutrients to tide them over until the slow release stuff becomes more available.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

First, manures are soil additives, fertilizers, they are not to be used as the main growing medium. You start with soil and add some nutrients.

Soil: that miraculous thin covering of the earth where plant roots reside. It contains clay, silt, sand, organic matter and a host of micro organisms.

Construction companies or Ready Mix companies often have piles of top soil that they have scraped off building sites.

imafan26
Mod

Manure is not a good planting bed.

Mel's mix works. 1/3 compost 1/3 peat moss 1/3 vermiculte. about an inch of well composted manure mixed in for fertilizer. I would still add bone meal, fish meal, blood meal as well. If you are not trying to be totally organic a good starter fertilizer 10-10-10 works for most plants. Follow label directions for application rates.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”