epicboy75
Newly Registered

Help with radishes growing?

Hi,
I'm wondering what additive should I put in the soil so radishes can grow higher and have more leaves like egg shells or wood and worms.....etc
P.S this is for a science project
Thanks

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Two things radishes really do well with are cool temperatures and even watering. They are one of the fastest maturing vegetable plants you can grow in a garden or pots. That is why people trying to get kids interested in gardening often plant them since they grow and mature fast.

Don't know where you're from since you don't have it in your post or sig line, so there's no way to tell how warm your weather is right now.

If it were me, I'd just make sure they had good growing medium and were kept evenly watered until they mature.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

You might have success growing them under grow lights in big pots. Maybe 3 seeds per 8" pot.

Fertilizers are rated by N, P, K numbers.

High nitrogen (the N number) makes for bigger greens. Lush green growth. For root crops, you don't want a higher N number, you want a higher Phosphorus (P number) and Potassium (K number) number! They support strong root growth. This is all a very brief and basic btw...

So if you want lots of lush green top growth. Go with a fertilizer with a high N number! If you want a nice root, go with a lower N number, but higher P number.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”