SLC

What are these 2 bugs and are they bad for the garden or me?

First one - at first I thought it was a tick, but now I am not so sure because of the long thin antennae in the front and the 2 straight legs(?) in the back? And the other tiny thing sticking out between it's legs(?) is in the back - is it a stinger? The whole bug is like 1/8" long. I don't even know what that other smaller bug is in the background.
IMG_1711.JPG
Does anyone know what this is and is it bad for the garden? I have never seen them before this year and I have seen 2 so far this year.

Second one - there are like thousands of them. I took the weed fabric out of the shed - which was in plastic, but there was a hole on one end where the paper roll on the inside was. When I started rolling out the weed fabric onto my garden, as I rolled it out, thousands of these minuscule black bugs were on it - they are smaller than a pinhead! But it looked like as I rolled it out they were all in there. I am in the process of transplanting and only have garlic, broccoli and potato in the garden so far and these things could care less about the plants OR me. When I put my cardboard down to sit on, they were like attracted to it. But when I stepped on it, they all jumped away. Or if I put my ruler near one, it jumped away. It is hard to get a good picture because they are so small. They seem to range from black to brown - the brown look black on the fabric, but in the picture they are actually brown. The black one is maybe the size of a pinhead - is it something different?
IMG_1716.JPG
IMG_1714.JPG
The only thing I can find remotely close is a flea beetle? But why would they be in the weed fabric? There is nothing for them to feed on in there.

Please help and how do I get rid of both of these?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I can see anything in these pictures!

I totally geek out on ID posts!

See if you can't get better, clearer pictures with better lighting so we can help you and feed my geek habit!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”