gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Got a nice bucket full of stuff from the garden today

I went out to tie up my tomato plants to their stakes and picked the first 2 that were almost ripe to get them off the plants before the rains come and possibly split them. I also picked several nice cucumbers, a dozen beets a bit bigger than a tennis ball, a nice bag of leaf lettuce that is soon to bolt, a few banana peppers to go in a salad, some green beans off the trellis and 30 or so of the garlic plants that produced very nice bulbs. I still have about 20 more to go but they were not quite ready just yet.

Even my summer squash plants are doing great right now with small squash on the vines. I got them in late and so far so good with the SVB's that plague me every year. I'm sure they'll be here soon to relieve my garden of the plants, but for now, I'll take what they produce.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Doing great, gumbo!

Too funny, MG! LMFAO LMFAO

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Nice haul!!!

HA! With 3 ladies and a lone resident Man, it sure would be nice if there was a TP tree!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"Got a nice bucket full of stuff from the garden today"

Very nice. Good to hear of your success.

Here it has been cool and damp. Have not even planted squash and cucumbers yet. Did plant some corn and I see it is just starting to emerge. Planted some tomato plants, but think they all died...... if not dead, they sure look sick. Perhaps by June 1 we may get some gardening weather?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I am curious about gardening where there is both summer heat and frequent rains.

Are leafy greens possible through much of the growing season? I know that some things are best grown early and late. It's even true here but the arid conditions during the summer months must be the problem as much or more than the heat. Pests are a factor but weather conditions are partially to blame and make the plants vulnerable. How many weeks of "salad and stir-fry weather" do you enjoy, Gumbo?

The nearest Weather Service recorded just over 1" of rain over about 18 hours. I guess it failed to top a daily record (.95") because the rain fell on 2 different days. The rain was quite localised and WS stations 15 miles on either side picked up 1/4" or less. That gives you an idea - even a 1/2" of rain isn't common here and usually never occurs once the solstice is passed ...

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

My spinach is done for the spring, broccoli is still making side shoots, but main heads are done.

Lettuce is still going strong, but at some point it will bolt. I think in Cincinnati that wasn't until about July, but maybe earlier here.

In my old garden, Swiss Chard would go all season, right through the first fall frosts. Have to see how it does here.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

digitS' wrote:I am curious about gardening where there is both summer heat and frequent rains.

Are leafy greens possible through much of the growing season? I know that some things are best grown early and late. It's even true here but the arid conditions during the summer months must be the problem as much or more than the heat. Pests are a factor but weather conditions are partially to blame and make the plants vulnerable. How many weeks of "salad and stir-fry weather" do you enjoy, Gumbo?

The nearest Weather Service recorded just over 1" of rain over about 18 hours. I guess it failed to top a daily record (.95") because the rain fell on 2 different days. The rain was quite localised and WS stations 15 miles on either side picked up 1/4" or less. That gives you an idea - even a 1/2" of rain isn't common here and usually never occurs once the solstice is passed ...

Steve
My main problems in the summer are heat and humidity. Where I live, New Orleans, we have crazy summer heat and humidity, and it is the humidity that takes the biggest toll in my opinion. My tomato plants are usually gone by mid July between fungal issues and the daily heat index that is almost always in the 107+ range. By August, our "Dog Days of Summer" when it is simply oppressive to be outdoors, many of my garden plants are either dying or just hanging on. The only plant that thrives in our summer heat is the okra I plant every year. It is heat and drought tolerant.

Swiss Chard is the only leafy green that will grow into our summer months, but the weather will eventually get to it. I'm amazed I still have a small patch of leaf lettuce to pick from at this late date, but I do know it is short-lived and likely will bolt in another week or so.

My best garden time for greens is from October until March in most cases. The temperatures are mild, rain more consistent, less pests and somewhat lower humidity. We seldom get below freezing weather for more than a night or two in a row during the winter months, so almost all fall greens survive until spring. This year my kale and last falls lettuce crop bolted at the same time around mid March.

As for things like spinach, not going to happen now and I won't even attempt to put any seeds in until the early fall months.

Right now things are all going great, but that will change as it heats up, and to be perfectly honest, I don't particularly like working in the garden in the summer months. You either do it very early in the a.m. or right after sundown. My garden plot in the middle of the day in July and August is sheer torture.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Well, that is a nice long season for greens!

October to March ... then, on into May!

Each location has a unique gardening environment.

Steve
for Marlingardener:♪ ♫ Oh the buzzin' of the bees in the cigarette trees.
The soda water fountain where the lemonade springs.
And the bluebird sings in that Big Rock Candy Mountain. ♫ ♪ ♫

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”