cabotgardner
Newly Registered

Okra leaves

My okra has brown spots and I am wondering if it is to much water? Please help with what can be causing this.
IMG_1200.jpg
IMG_1201.jpg

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Lots of rain lately here. Has it rained a lot where you are?

It looks fungal to me. Caused by lots of reasons, but mainly moist and crowded conditions with low air flow.

How many plants are in that hole? If it's more than 1, you'll need to cut the extras away.

I would remove the damaged leaves, and clean your scissors and hands before you move to other plants. You can use neem oil weekly as a preventative.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Best thing to do for okra is to rouge it out, toss it in the compost pile and plant something worth the space. Oh, you are from Arkansas? Never mind, do what you have to for it.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Okra can grow fairly close to one another and I usually space mine at least 12 inches apart in rows. Those plants will get 8 ft. tall by the end of summer unless you top them and I usually pull mine in early to mid September. They are very drought and heat tolerant so a lot of watering is usually not a good thing. My plants are not doing as well as normal due to all the rain we've been getting here in S.E. Louisiana, but they will recover like they always do I'm sure.

Oh, and don't pay any heed to that first sentence by PaulF, he's from Nebraska, so what does he know about okra. LOL

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

PaulF wrote:Best thing to do for okra is to rouge it out, toss it in the compost pile and plant something worth the space. Oh, you are from Arkansas? Never mind, do what you have to for it.
FOR SHAME!!!!!
(Hahahahahahaha)

Okra might be my favorite! And it is hating this current weather situation!

cabotgardner
Newly Registered

ok I will cut out the bad looking stuff and cut back on the watering and see what happens.

Thanks of the help.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”