Live4Today
Newly Registered

New to Gardening...Questions, questions!

Hello! I'm very new to gardening. My father has kept vegetable gardens, apple trees, grapes, and plums. Unfortunately, growing up I never paid attention to anything other than picking something out of it when I was hungry.

Today I have a family of five and we eat organic, mostly vegetarian meals. Our grocery bills is mostly produce. I'd like to start growing our own as I think I would enjoy it a lot and it could save us a lot in grocery money.

I am intimidated by the idea, though. Not sure how, where, or what to start with. I have a sunny open backyard, however it is hilly, not really a flat, even spot of ground. Also, we have raccoons and groundhogs. Add that I am a novice, and I'm wondering if having a vegetable garden is feasible for me?

When do I plant? I am in Virginia, which I imagine is a much different growing season than my native Minnesota. I've heard some people can grow year-round here.

Do I start with seeds or seedlings?

What do you suggest I start with? Our family eats a lot of lettuces, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, onions, and carrots.

Should I go for container gardening, beds, or rows?

How much financial investment should I expect starting a new garden for a family of five?

A friend told me I would have to dig deep, and put chicken wire into the ground then up around the sides and over the top of the garden so it was completely enclosed from the ground hogs...is this true? I'm a smaller person and don't have the strength for that much digging...depending on how deep I would have to go. Thoughts?

Grey
Greener Thumb

Welcome!

The best book I have found are the "month to month" series for your state. They should have one for Virginia. I referred mine in Florida, and now the one for Georgia, at least once a month. That will help you know the best planting dates and all that for your state.

If your slope isn't too bad, you can still grow a garden on a slope, or even slowly level it out after you till it. Lots of threads here on starting out.

Containers, beds, or rows - that's for your preference. I have some in raised beds, because I have a rotten back. Others are just in tilled ground. I'd experiment with the rows (which don't even need to be rows, exactly... you can plant thickly in a 4x4 space rather than in rows). Another good book is called Lasagna Gardening.

Containers are great. I love mine, I can control the soil and I use some nice deep ones for my carrots, since I have hard clay soil. If I wants straight carrots, then I wants nice loose soil!

Not sure about groundhogs - have no experience fighting them. Squirrels and neighbor dogs and cats, oh I can tell you about them!

Good luck, and keep posting! There are a lot of good experienced gardeners here.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Live4Today,

Hello and welcome.
When do I plant? I am in Virginia, which I imagine is a much different growing season than my native Minnesota. I've heard some people can grow year-round here.
That depends upon what you are growing. Lettuce and snap peas are cool weather crops. Onion sets go in fairly early but stay in longer than the other two. Tomatoes and peppers are warm weather crops and should not be set out until things warm up considerably.
Do I start with seeds or seedlings?
Both are viable alternatives. If you don't mind growing readily available varieties it is easier to purchase established plants. But if you are looking for unusual or heirloom varieties you will probably have to start your own. Since you are just starting out it may be best to keep your seed starting to a minimum. It is easy to get carried away and have more plants/flats than you have space for. You will need pots/flats, potting soil, lighting or a greenhouse, etc. Tomatoes are pretty easy if you have the room to try.
I am intimidated by the idea, though. Not sure how, where, or what to start with.
Start slow the first year and as you gain confidence expand your list of varieties and your space.
How much financial investment should I expect starting a new garden for a family of five?
It does not have to cost a lot but if you are going to establish a substantial and permanent garden fencing and the materials for raised beds could add up. The slower you start the less the initial cost and labor.
I have a sunny open backyard, however it is hilly, not really a flat, even spot of ground.
Which direction is the hill oriented? South would be ideal but East or West can work too. A North facing slope is the least desirable. Depending upon just how steep it is raised beds that are terraced could be a solution.
Also, we have raccoons and groundhogs. A friend told me I would have to dig deep, and put chicken wire into the ground then up around the sides and over the top of the garden so it was completely enclosed from the ground hogs...is this true?
Heed the advice of a local, they know what you are up against. Ground Swine can really be a problem.

Norm

Live4Today
Newly Registered

Wow! Thanks so much for the welcomes and the help! I am excited to give this a try. I like the idea of starting small. Maybe I'll do some containers on the back porch and a small bed in the yard.

The groundhogs, bummer, looks like I'll be wrestling with chicken wire!

Where can I find the state by state books?

Thank you, thank you!
Salihah

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Live4Today,

You're welcome. I'm not sure if this is the book that Grey is referring to but it is the one that turned up with a simple search on google.

[url]https://www.amazon.com/Month-Month-Gardening-Mid-Atlantic-Washington/dp/1591860482[/url]

Make sure to read the customer reviews as not everyone is pleased with the arrangement of this volume.

By the way I just re-read the bit about overhead coverage for ground-hogs, this slipped by me at first. I've' had problems with them in the past but never went to the extreme of covering the top.

Norm

Grey
Greener Thumb

I usually get my books from Amazon (so easy to spend a fortune there!) or from Barnes & Noble/Borders/BooksAMillon type places.

And, you are right - some of those books are better than others. The one for Florida is awesome, it takes the state apart into three different zones so you know exactly when to plant just about everything veggie wise. It was a really, really helpful book. The one for GA, I just wanted to look up Broccoli in answer to another poster here last night, and it didn't have a chart like that!

But, there may be other books specifically for your state that will help. And, the extension office is usually helpful too.

Live4Today
Newly Registered

Thank you for the links and tips!

About my hill slope...it faces NE, and we do have some shade from a large tree.

I am leaning toward container gardening as my husband would like to move out to the country this summer. I don't want to put a lot of effort in and then move, lol.

I am assuming lettuce has to go in the ground, though? How deep down do I need to bury the chicken wire? My friend is assisting I have to do that or the ground hogs will get it. We seem them in the neighborhood a lot, and they have two holes in our backyard alone. I found out when we moved in and the grass hadn't been mowed for awhile. I was mowing along and suddenly my foot when knee deep into a hole. Nice surprise, sigh.

There are also a couple dogs that roam around, squirrels, a possum, and squirrels. Very furry neighborhood.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Live4Today,

You can grow lettuce in containers. The problem with container growing is that garden soil is not really appropriate for containers, it is too dense and lacks the required drainage. This means you will be buying a lot of ingredients for your pots. This is largely avoided by growing in the ground, although amendments are helpful for "in ground" growing as well.

If you dig a trench perhaps 6 inches deep it should discourage the pests although that is not a guarantee as they are excellent diggers. I guess it's a compromise between how much effort you want to put into it and how concerned you are that you'll lose your crop.

Norm

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”