Gary350
Super Green Thumb

10 Bird Houses, I am ready for garden bugs.

Out if the 25 bird houses I once had I managed to save 10 good bird houses this year and get them in the trees 3 weeks ago. I already have 3 bird families. No Wrens yet I think it is still to cold for them. Winter just keeps hanging on. Wrens eat about 2 times their body weight in bugs every day, I think most of those bugs are given to the babies. I never spray for bugs the garden never has a bug problem. Birds are my best garden friends. I may need to make a few new bird houses before next spring. I need to put the new boards out in the rain all summer before I use them to build houses. Birds don't like new lumber and they wont stay in a house built with pressure treated wood.

Ok I changed the photo, I think I finally found the correct photo. When babies hatch and mother is feeding maybe I can get a real photo of this bird.

This is the Wren. Small bird with a big voice. I love these little birds they sing none stop all day. I can be setting in a chair with a glass of ice tea the wren will land only a few feet away and sing its lungs out. It is like the bird is trying to tell me something. LOL.

I am not sure what the other 2 bird families are yet. I see them sometimes all I can tell for sure is they look brown color.

Slots are 7/8" high and 3" wide makes it easy for birds to get things through the door to build a nest. 3 or 4 babies can stick there head out and feed when food arrives. The 7/8" slot keeps out larger birds. One bird house has an over size hole black birds pecked it larger so it may have sparrows or some other larger bird family in it. I keep seeing little brown birds with a red face I don't know what they are. Sometimes the houses will have a finch family. This morning a cute little bird kept trying to get through the hole after 5 minute it gave up. The houses are all specifically built for Wrens but other small birds live in them too.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat May 21, 2016 6:46 am, edited 6 times in total.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

How beautiful! :)
I am a big bird lover myself and have two bird houses. Last year one was empty and the second one had a family of wild finches living in it. They are quite cute birdies to watch!
I can't wait until some birdie settles in one of my bird houses.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Your first picture is the House Sparrow. Sometimes called the English Sparrow. It is an import that soon traveled all across the USA. It is common in cities and on farms.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Those are some nice bird houses in those photos. I like that they are simple and not all dolled up with bright paint colors and metal roofs. It looks like you know how to build bird houses so that they are good for the birds.
I have a small shed full wood for building bird houses. I'm going to make some nice nesting shelves for robins, to start with.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Your first picture is the House Sparrow. Sometimes called the English Sparrow. It is an import that soon traveled all across the USA. It is common in cities and on farms.
You mean Gary350's first bird photo? The Chickadee?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”