KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

When to Start Winter Squash?

New seeds arrived for a variety of heirloom winter squash. Of course, I'm chomping at the bit to plant them, but is it too early? Most varieties I have say they will be ready in about 100 days, give or take, which would put them ripening end of August/start of September. For some reason, I'm thinking that they are best when the weather starts to cool which here would be October. What have you found? Should I just plant away or do you find that its best to wait so that they ripen when weather cools?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Here May 5 is squash planting day. I think I would go ahead and plant. May I suggest you also make a later planting? With that you will get a better idea of what works for you there.

Here at this 5000 ft elevation, the 100 day stuff usually takes 110 to 120 days. It is 100 days where the variety was developed.
Weather and temperatures vary from year to year so it is always an experiment. Have fun!

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Yep, you have all good points. I live where the day temps are typically in the 70's, some times 80's, but night temps apparently don't often get above high 50's. I notice that most things take longer than package indicates, but up until you said that, thought it was just operator error, somehow. Anyway, I might as well plant and then plant some more. Have already run out of room but what the heck...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”