Stephen111725

Pumpkin leaf yellow

So I have this pumpkin and one of the leaves is Yellow but the others aren't is this bad? What do I do? Can It heal?
Attachments
20160514_182722.jpeg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

That leaf will probably not "heal," I.e. green up, but if you correct the conditions, new leaves that come in will be fine.

There are various causes of yellowing, including deficiency of Nitrogen or other nutrients. That's a very small pot. If all goes well, your plant is going to be getting MUCH bigger. You need to put it in a bigger pot with fresh soil (potting mix usually comes with fertilizer in it). Then you need to fertilize regularly -- pumpkins are heavy feeders.

There are other things that can cause this, but usually they would cause more symptoms, the leaf wouldn't be looking so perfect and otherwise healthy, so for now I'm going with nutrient deficiency. The nutrients are depleted/ washed out from a little pot like that very fast.

Incidentally it looks like it is indoors. Was that just for the picture? It is not going to be practical to keep it indoors for much longer, in terms of getting it as much sunlight as it needs and just in the space it takes up. Pumpkin plants spread out ten or more feet in all directions:

Stephen111725

rainbowgardener wrote:That leaf will probably not "heal," I.e. green up, but if you correct the conditions, new leaves that come in will be fine.

There are various causes of yellowing, including deficiency of Nitrogen or other nutrients. That's a very small pot. If all goes well, your plant is going to be getting MUCH bigger. You need to put it in a bigger pot with fresh soil (potting mix usually comes with fertilizer in it). Then you need to fertilize regularly -- pumpkins are heavy feeders.

There are other things that can cause this, but usually they would cause more symptoms, the leaf wouldn't be looking so perfect and otherwise healthy, so for now I'm going with nutrient deficiency. The nutrients are depleted/ washed out from a little pot like that very fast.

Incidentally it looks like it is indoors. Was that just for the picture? It is not going to be practical to keep it indoors for much longer, in terms of getting it as much sunlight as it needs and just in the space it takes up. Pumpkin plants spread out ten or more feet in all directions:

Ok I will put fertilizer in and I am moving outside soon

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, plant that little pumpkin out in the ground. Be advised that the roots will go 3 to 4 feet deep and the lateral spread will be as wide as the vine on top. Hope you get a big pumpkin.

Don't worry about that yellow leaf. Clip it off.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”