Stephen111725

Corn sudden yellow leaf

Ok so I have some corn growing on the windowsill and today it was really hot and I think it may have burned or something.

Does that mean the whole plant is going to die?
Is that leaf going to be green again, to I have to cut it off?
Will it be bad to keep it there any more , is it going to be too hot to rest of the year?

I don't know what to do
I feel like tomorrow when I was able up the whole plant is going to be yellow. :(
Attachments
20160514_182417.jpeg

applestar
Mod

OK is this corn as in vegetable? ...on a windowsill?

What kind/size container is it in?

If you look at this collage photo of my started corn seedlings that I transplanted in the garden, you can see that the roots are very very long by the time they grow to this size -- when only about 2-3 inches tall above the soil surface. They seriously resent having their roots cramped in a small space. I HAD to plant by that point or it would have been too late.

Also, corn is a heavy feeder and need a very fertile potting mix while growing in a container.

Stephen111725

applestar wrote:OK is this corn as in vegetable? ...on a windowsill?

What kind/size container is it in?

If you look at this collage photo of my started corn seedlings that I transplanted in the garden, you can see that the roots are very very long by the time they grow to this size -- when only about 2-3 inches tall above the soil surface. They seriously resent having their roots cramped in a small space. I HAD to plant by that point or it would have been too late.

Also, corn is a heavy feeder and need a very fertile potting mix while growing in a container.
I'm going to put it outside tomorrow would you recommend putting bone meal in its soil after its outside?

applestar
Mod

Bone meal's NPK ratio varies -- what are the numbers on the package for yours? If the N is high then yes, but mostly it's best to use fertilizer high in nitrogen or balanced fertilizer at this stage. These seedlings were living with a couple of big red wigglers = earthworm castings. I double dug and buried nearly finished compost in this bed earlier, and scratched in Espoma Bio-tone and Garden-tone at planting.

Stephen111725

applestar wrote:Bone meal's NPK ratio varies -- what are the numbers on the package for yours? If the N is high then yes, but mostly it's best to use fertilizer high in nitrogen or balanced fertilizer at this stage. These seedlings were living with a couple of big red wigglers = earthworm castings. I double dug and buried nearly finished compost in this bed earlier, and scratched in Espoma Bio-tone and Garden-tone at planting.
Bone meal is high in phosphorus
If it's nitrogen I need I could buy bloodmeal

applestar
Mod

That will work. :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”