poofystuff
Newly Registered

Need Advice!

Hi All,

First year gardening growing some aspargus, peppers, cucumbers, and tomatoes.

Everything is going well except tomatoes. I have some determinate variety that was recommended from a gardener here that would be very easy to grow. Started them from seed and everything went well until transplanting into raised bed garden last week. Three days after I planted them, it rained and they definitely got overwatered and many of the leaves are yellow/dead. Plus none of them have really grown at all. They have grown some new leaves but nothing compared to the container plants I were able to move under cover. The container plants are growing like crazy.

I had to cut off a lot of the plants that were dead/dying and many of the remaining leaves are yellow and the plants overall don't look too well.

Anything I should do for them? Do they look like they will survive or should I go to the nursery and just buy some new plants?

edit: Looked at the pictures, they look much greener than they really are, especially the lower leaves.
7fc33de8-f605-444b-b900-1b23011ec3ce.jpg
09a48529-825d-4a17-be49-59dc8c3a4d39.jpg
2db6e635-20c3-4708-9a1e-e43671404b02.jpg

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

I think your tomato plants lack nutrients in the soil. Is the soil in the container plants different from the soil you use on these tomatoes? If yes, it is definitely a soil problem.
I would add some tomato fertilizer to the soil. Either liquid, powdered (that disolves in water) or even spikes that you can poke into the soil.

Also adding compost is a good idea. Also, make sure to water them with water without chlorine. So NOT tap water. Or you could let the tap water sit uncovered for over 24 hours so that all the chlorine evaporates and then water them.

Good luck :)

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I wouldn't panic just yet. Almost all plants stumble a bit when transplanted from a starter pot into the ground. Give it a little more time and see what happens.

Edited to add this. It would help if you put your location or at least your planting zone for more specific advice.
Last edited by gumbo2176 on Fri May 13, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Agree. Especially if the weather has been cool. Give it a bit of time for your roots to get going, then the rest of the plant should catch up business as usual.

poofystuff
Newly Registered

Hi All,

Thanks for the help.

I am zone 7b, basically right south of Charlotte, NC. Raised bed is basically a mixture of soil, mushroom compost, composted cow manure. Added a tablespoon of 4-6-5 fertilizer at planting.

Tested the soil and it seems like everything has a sufficient amount of nitrogen and potassium.

How long should I wait to see if they bounceback before I give up?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Well, you mentioned they grew new leaves, so that is promising and also what they should be doing after they get acclimated to their new location. I wouldn't do anything but watch them grow and make you some tomatoes.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Agree!

You're only about an hour across from me. Give this heat a chance to get consistent.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”