Anna5546
Newly Registered

Cutworms or slugs? Who is eating my peas?

It happens overnight. The pea plants are cut off at the ground level. And some of them seem to be dug out.

I just put toothpicks around each plant and sprinkled some cornmeal (thinking cutworms.) But is it slugs? Or can ants do this? Thanks!
Attachments
image.jpg

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

I think Pill Bugs did that. I once took some soil from my veggie garden bed (turned out to be infested with Pill Bugs) and planted some squash seeds in it. The seeds germinated but then were chewed of in a couple weeks.

applestar
Mod

I think this is classic cutworm damage, but the fact that they are DUG out as evidenced by the white stems may possibly indicate birds, although birds tend to play mischief with much younger, just sprouting peas....

Do you have grackles in your area? Have you noticed grackles in your garden very early in the morning -- just before or as the sun peeks over the horizon? They stride around my garden flicking mulch aside to look for slugs and snails (and cutworms) and they sometimes uproot loosely anchored sprouting seedlings. They could easily snap off pea seedlings I think.

Anna5546
Newly Registered

Thanks guys!
I'm sure we have grackles :x
And if it's pill bugs - what do you do to get rid of them?

TIA!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

The way to stop cut worms put a tablespoon of corn meal around each plant. If it rains on the corn meal and it becomes hard the corn meal needs to be replaced. I buy yellow grocery store corn meal I think white corn meal will work too.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”