Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

What kales do you grow and use?

The only kale varieties I have grown are Red Russian and Lacinato (A.K.A. Black Tuscan?). Red Russian is very vigorous and robust. As food we use it much like cabbage or sometimes lettuce. Lacinato is much more ornamental, doesn't seem so hardy and is not so useful in the kitchen; although we have made kale chips with it and enjoyed them.

What varieties do others grow; why do you prefer and how do you use them?

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I personally prefer the dwarf curled kale. It tastes to me like a cross between parsley and a mild cabbage. We use it in salads raw. Sometimes I chop it and put it in bread. I like it here because it doesn't seem to be quite as attractive to the pests.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

I'm trying to grow the Long Curly Variety. Not sure if that is its actual name but that's what it said on it's container when I got it :)

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

This past fall I grew only the Red Russian Kale and used it in salads raw, made Kale chips, it is great in soups and stir fry or just cooked down like you would any other green like collards, mustard or turnip greens. Not sure if you're into cooking or eating greens but they are one of my favorite fall dishes and simple to make.

imafan26
Mod

I have grown dwarf blue" vates" kale, red russion, Siberian kale, toscano, lacinato, and tronchuda beira (Portuguese kale)
I have also grown Georgia Collards.

Collards and Kale are cooked and use in similar ways. Collards are a little more heat tolerant. It seems that in the North they grow Kale and in the south collards.

The most popular kale is the curly kale and it is what is mostly sold in the markets.
Lacinato or tuscan kale can be used like curly kale in salads if it is cut in very thin strips, kale chips, and soups
Russian kales are sweeter than the other two and good when very young in salads
Tronchuda Beira or Portuguese kale looks a lot like collards only smaller and not so dark green. It has large round leaves. It is used in bean soup and Portuguese comfort soup.

I have seen the "bor" kales but I have not tried them.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”