sniffs
Cool Member

Re: Pattypan Squash stems are bending and stalk has some spl

ok so I finally got female flowers. Got a few actually.. what's worrying me is that they look to flower and there aren't any flowering males yet!! There are male flowers but none that look like they will flower at the same time.

Can I open one of the large, but green, male flowers and pollinate that way or will that not work?

applestar
Mod

They both must be ready and they are only ready for (part of) one day.

Do you have any other C.pepo squash like zucchini, yellow squash, pumpkin? You can use pollen from one of those as long as this is not for saving seeds. (Typically you eat summer squash immature)
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

sniffs
Cool Member

Doh, I don't. I guess that's a good thought though.. growing plants of the same species so that you can do things like what you're suggesting.

I should just drive up to the local nursery and see if they have any flowering males and ask if I can snip one flower off! lol..

Lindsaylew82
Mod

IME, the males mature quicker than female flowers. If your female flowers aren't opening today, and you have some large make flowers, the plant will usually up its game, and get those makes ready. It's in its best interest to make it happen!
Lindsay
Upstate, SC
USDA Zone 7b/ Sunset Zone 31

sniffs
Cool Member

So I'm finally getting some squash growing. Have a couple growing actually. I'm noticing some weirdness with my leaves though.. I think I might have a potassium and manganese deficiency.. thoughts?

https://goo.gl/photos/KdZz5cwLnFHHpSkk7

https://goo.gl/photos/Zfn7brEVYAQEB6pJ8

Lindsaylew82
Mod

Have you noticed whiteflies around?

Silver mottling is normal and genetic. It's sometimes worse when the plants are struggling, but it is normal.

I don't think that this is Silver Mottling, I think this is Silver Leaf, caused by whiteflies.

You also have a touch of powdery mildew.
Lindsay
Upstate, SC
USDA Zone 7b/ Sunset Zone 31

sniffs
Cool Member

Holy crap, I just googled silverleaf whitefly damage and the first page that I clicked was this, https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef319

This is exactly what is happening. My leaves have all turned a greenish silver color.

I do know that some of my peppers have the white spiral under the leaves which is caused by the whitefly. I've removed all those leaves a few minutes ago.

Now to find an organic insecticide to kill them. My poor patty pan!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”