applestar
Mod

Re: What are you eating from your garden in 2016

Sounds wonderful, Rainbowgardener!

...so, at this point, are you ambitious to grow more corn next year or? ...In the summer, DH swings around to the farmer's stands on the way home and picks up corn by the dozens and family devours them, so my little harvest is NOTHING in comparison but to me it's still satisfying to grow my own, and each ear -- umm year -- has been better than the last. :wink:
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, I have my third stand of corn looking SUPER healthy and just starting to tassel. So there's still more corn coming. More than that I don't know. The one thing I definitely want to grow more of is potatoes! Potato crop is now gone and they are so good. Even the Farmer's market potatoes I bought aren't as good as my garden ones, though better than store bought. And they were expensive. I can get really good corn, cheap, every where.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Lonesomedave
Location: NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE- zone 6B - 7A on USDA plant hardiness map

ok....tonight we are having....RICE....(well, i didn't grow it, it will be a nice base for what comes next)

and...stir fry....with some nice sirloin that i got at the store and our fairy tale eggplants (with one little ichiban thrown in)

and some of our korean hot peppers, sort of a chinese pepper/eggplant steak...those peppers are a little hot, maybe more than pablanos, but far less than serranos or thai hot peppers....even way less than jalapenos

in the stir fry will be some of our ginger that i have grown

looking forward to it

this weekend, me and my son-in-law are going to harvest all of our jalapenos, thai, serrano and whatever other hot peppers we are growing, and make some pepper jelly...we have done this before with store-bought jalapenos and habeneros.....big mistake, although good :mrgreen: .....this will be a little less hot, although not much....have some long (really long and skinny) thai peppers....they are unlike any thai peppers i have ever seen...have a good flavor but atomic hot....

will let you know how this works out

/dave/
Fertilizer...Kelp Extract...Compost Tea...Fish Emulsion....Manure (tea)...etc....A little all the time is better than a lot at once... thus endeth the lesson....

Lindsaylew82
Mod

Dave,

We tried the Ball's Blue Book recipe for Golden Habañero Jelly, and it was fantastic! So if you have enough to make 2 batches of something, definitely give that a try! Worth it!
Lindsay
Upstate, SC
USDA Zone 7b/ Sunset Zone 31

Lonesomedave

Lindsaylew82 wrote:Dave,

We tried the Ball's Blue Book recipe for Golden Habañero Jelly, and it was fantastic! So if you have enough to make 2 batches of something, definitely give that a try! Worth it!
hey...how about posting it?....they don't have it online and i don't have a ball's blue book.....

/dave/
Fertilizer...Kelp Extract...Compost Tea...Fish Emulsion....Manure (tea)...etc....A little all the time is better than a lot at once... thus endeth the lesson....

Lindsaylew82
Mod

This book! I love this book, and the pictures are just amazing!
This book! I love this book, and the pictures are just amazing!
See!!! Beautiful!
See!!! Beautiful!
The recipe!
The recipe!
Lindsay
Upstate, SC

Lonesomedave

thanks!....it only needs a little pepper, so i believe we can make it....instead of habenero, it will be mixed hot pepper, but it does sound good....no bell pepper and 1/2 cup of mixed hot...sounds really good.... :mrgreen:

have copied the image, saved it and printed it out in photoshop...came out great...very readable

/dave/

Lonesomedave

just out of curiosity...i went out and looked at the plant tag on my long skinny (atomic) thai peppers

they are called GONG BAO...anybody ever heard of them?

not only are they the hottest i am growing this year, but they are the most productive....the pepper plant looks like a christmas tree with lots of long skinny green ornaments...definitely a keeper for next year

/dave/

applestar
Mod

If you plan to save seeds, it's a good idea to bag the flowerbuds before they open to isolate to keep them pure. Hopefully it's not a hybrid.

Post some pics please? 8)
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Lonesomedave

here you go....one picture of my Gong Bao pepper

long and skinny, and frightfully hot

/dave/
Attachments
dave's GONG BAO peppers2.gif
dave's GONG BAO peppers2.gif (148.32 KiB) Viewed 1553 times

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

I harvested some red leaf lettuce, a bunch of radish and SO much cucumbers over the last couple weeks! It's amazing! Last year, our cucumbers were doing so bad...we only had about 2 cukes per plant and those cukes weren't that good. This year however, we experimented by growing all the cucumbers in a new location- our daughters' community garden (yes our two young daughters have their own community garden :P ), and they turned out to grow extremely well. Maybe it was all the composted chicken manure in the soil, or that they are getting a lot more sun...

Out cherry tomatoes are flowering and starting to form tomatoes, while our black Krim tomatoes are not blooming quite yet but are giant. I'm guessing this is because the cherry tomatoes are a bit older than the black Krim ones.
Zone 8b, Canada

Lindsaylew82
Mod

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread!
It was a vegan recipe, and it was SO surpringly delicious!
Lindsay
Upstate, SC

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

IMG_20160709_081458.jpg
From nearly one side of the continent to nearly the other side of the continent:

Me, too! (Except, no chocolate ...)

DW already made zucchini bread! We finished a loaf and started on a second.

:D Steve
Make everything as simple as possible but not simpler. ~ Albert Einstein

pepperhead212
Greener Thumb

The later veggies are starting to produce! I was really surprised at the Big Jims (10) and jalapeños (18) I harvested on 7-4. The eggplants are reaching full size, along with some ripe tomatoes, though most of those varieties. I knocked two green ones off the plants by accident, so last night I made an Indian dal which called for green tomatoes, eggplant, garlic, and curry leaves - all from the garden.
Dave

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Having company over for dinner tomorrow night. Menu is green salad, with some garden ingredients, including bell peppers and cherry tomatoes. Fruit salad, with some farmer's market peaches but nothing from the garden (next year!) and spinach quiche. I will make the quiche with garden swiss chard instead of spinach, and garden onions and herbs. For desert homemade strawberry mint ice cream, which I just finished making and is now in the freezer. It is fresh farmers market locally grown strawberries and mint I just picked off my deck an it is SO good!

My third planting of corn is just starting to make ears so not too long until more corn. And if no disaster happens, we will be inundated with winter squash! Still thinking about trying a fourth planting of corn....
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:... I will make the quiche with garden swiss chard instead of spinach, and garden onions and herbs.....
I should try that :). Another green and something NEW-to-me: Verde da Taglio Chard.

I don't like heavy chard stems. I've never eaten what little Swiss chard I've grown. Interest in it was lost during childhood. Verde da Taglio doesn't have heavy stems. I like it!

And, green beans!

Nothing new here! My first taste of green beans each year comes with the same thought, "this really is my favorite vegetable :)!"

These are DW's Jade variety. I would be even more enthusiastic if they were a more flavorful one. I shouldn't take anything away from the Jade. Some of those plants powered their way through June's whiplash weather. There are more on their way, including an entire bed planted just this week :).

Steve

Lindsaylew82
Mod

We've eaten squash, zucchini, and patty pans everyday! This time of year, when I get home and start pondering what will be for supper, I get to looking at that ever increasing stack of cucurbits and think....ugh, again. Then I taste that creation and know that I will likely not have them for much longer...

Still enjoying lots of different tomatoes! Definitely not ready for that to stop!
Lindsay
Upstate, SC

applestar
Mod

Garlic, onion, yellow zucchini, eggplant, green pepper, carrots, red chard stems, garlic chives scapes and scrappy leaves, squash blossom petals, and basil ..I think that's it... Went into pasta sauce made with store bought marinara. :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

RE: "I don't like heavy chard stems. "

Most chard recipes call for pulling the leaves off of the heavy stems and just using the leaves, compost the stems. I have a couple recipes (especially the bean cheesy chard recipe from Recipes for a Small Planet, one of my favorites!) which call for separating them like that and then cooking both, but separately. You can chop and cook the stems like celery and then they are very nice. I won't put the stems in the quiche, but I always do put them into stir fries.

kayjay
Green Thumb

I'm making zucchini lasagna tonight. I made a meat sauce with tomato puree from last year's garden, and a green pepper I just picked off the plant.
KayJay
Toronto 'burbs, zone 5b

My Garden, 2020

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Garlic. Omigosh, I can't believe how much garlic I have. I musta really been on one last fall when I was planting?
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

applestar
Mod

Can you see the zucchini in there? No? neither could my family. They all asked for seconds and thirds of this yellow zucchini-elder-flower-lemon kefir smoothie :()
image.jpeg

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoes, beans, squash, potatoes, onions, garlic, okra, herbs. This tomato weighs 15.8 ounces. Alice made crock pot chicken with tomatoes it was very good.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
Very pretty, applestar! What's your secret for avoiding the Vine Borers?

applestar
Mod

I don't think I am. I can't get down and inspect the prickly vines for eggs. I saw a SVB moth flying around just a couple of days ago -- I clapped my hands over it and it went down but I couldn't find it. :?

My strategy is to pre-germinate then use the spoon in the seedzip method to sprout the squash seeds to seedleaf stage, then plant either directly in the ground or in cups to first trueleaf stage indoors under the lights and over heatmats -- all this greatly speeds up germination and initial growth to get a jump on the initial planting.

After that C.pepo and C.maxima squashes will produce as much as they can then get taken down. So far in the past couple of years, they average 1-2 mature and 1-2 immature per plant (x as many plants as I have growing). Key with those is earlier maturing varieties 90 days max for winter squashes, and earlier Summer squashes that mature in 55 days or so. Summer squashes are harvested immature so they manage to eek out more harvestable fruits.

(FWIW when I tried using the insect barrier tunnel, they stayed SVB-free but limitation in tunnel size created crowded conditions, and the non-woven medium fleece I was using caused build up of humidity and heat resulting in moldy rotted fruits once the full summer heat and humidity with frequent thunder showers came along -- that would be about now. Plus getting under the covers to hand pollinate was tedious. Results may be different using a more open insect netting cover -- for one thing, I would be able to SEE inside and decide if I need to open up and get in to take care of them.)

My main winter squash selections requiring 100-120 days are C.moschata varieties. I'm still trialing different varieties but am slowing building a favorite varieties list. :wink:

applestar
Mod

I occasionally make weird food that nobody else wants, but I can't seem to stop eating it.

Today -- about 6 large radicchio summer leaves ( looks like giant dandelion leaves), 5-6 stalks of bolted lettuce, one with flower buds, Spinach Tree/Magenta Spreen, Lambs Quarters, onion -- all freshly harvested. Green Hari eggplant, garlic, walnuts, golden raisins, one wedge lemon, another wedge worth lemon rind, sliced deli polish ham. Sea salt, sugar, pepper.

Parboiled the radicchio and mature spinach tree and lambs quarters leaves, then chopped and put in heated sunflower oil and melted butter along with the lettuce leaves pulled off the stalks and chopped, sea salt, diced onions and garlic. Baby spinach tree and lambs quarter leaves, added EVOO and diced eggplants and chopped walnuts, chopped frozen lemon rind and lemon wedge to thaw, freshly ground black pepper, a teaspoon of cane sugar, ham cut in thin strips, then the golden raisins which had been soaking in a bit of the parboiling water.

It's slightly bitter, and sweet, and nutty, all at the same time. So yummy. ;)

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

We collect radish, spinach, kale, lettuce, beats, strawberries, blueberries, and looking forward to tomatoes the most!!:)
Zone 8b, Canada

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

"Weird" food.

There is radicchio that I don't really like but radicchio summer "looks like giant dandelion leaves" -- is that different from "Italian dandelion?"

Green Hari is a name I'd have trouble with ... but online information shows that it is a remarkably early eggplant! If Roleks seed is off the market and I have any desire to keep up with southern gardeners with a long green type ;), how am I gonna tolerate a name like Green Hari?

Magenta Spreen -- I just have to get around to trying some year ...

Steve

imafan26
Mod

I harvested a squash (actually a long gourd = hyotan) last week and today I picked 5 more. I gave three away and have 2 more I will give my mom. I will have more coming in a few days. Gourds are more productive than squash, I can get twenty or more from them.
Attachments
Five upo gourd squash picked 7/18/16
Five upo gourd squash picked 7/18/16
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

applestar
Mod

Blackberry Cobbler :()

...I had mine with vanilla ice cream :wink:

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

BLT Pizza and fresh corn. I love the summer!

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

today we did stuffed cabbage (cabbage rolls?). The filling is ground beef and rice, plus onion, chives, three types of peppers, carrots, and yellow squash. All the veg came from the garden. We also did a big pot of spaghetti sauce, with beef, tomatoes from the garden, and pretty much all the veggies listed above.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar
Mod

First two Mirai350BC corn for my two girls. They loved it. :D

...I may be growing almost entire Spiral Garden of these next year.... 8)

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3

2016.JPG
some of the stuff. Have been getting beets, turnips, potatoes right along. I love these early potatoes I started planting last year. The foto is one plant's worth; I have about 40+ plants. Glad I like potatoes! Have been getting green onions, swiss chard, kale for a long time. The tomatoes are the first ones though. Not always easy to grow tomatoes here. They only set fruit in the perfect conditions, and they always come late.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Tonight I made a big pot of minestrone. Had some for dinner and froze a bunch for winter. Garden ingredients in it were: tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, (one!) carrot and some of the carrot top, kale, chard, oregano, basil, parsley, onion. Plus some store bought veggies, beans, and pasta and garlic. Used my home made soup stock in the minestrone and am now simmering a new batch for next time.

Between today and yesterday, I made basil jelly, pesto (froze it), dried sage, lavender, rosemary, and anise hyssop. Infused some sage into olive oil. Distilled sage and lavender oils. Kitchen has been smelling wonderful!

applestar
Mod

Are you using the espresso pot for distilling? Post updates in that thread please? ... Now where was it...?

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

image.jpg
San Marzano tomatoes! :-()
ISFP "The Artist"

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Are you using the espresso pot for distilling? Post updates in that thread please? ... Now where was it...?
ask and you shall receive! :)

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 56#p393856

kayjay
Green Thumb

20160724veggies.jpg
20160724veggies.jpg (33.37 KiB) Viewed 972 times
This will be turned into dehydrator cucumber chips, zucchini chips, and zucchini lasagna. The tomatoes, I'll save for salad.
KayJay
Toronto 'burbs, zone 5b

My Garden, 2020

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”